Narrative report example

"A narrative report on histological preparation of tissue at Seafdec, Tigbauan last March 13, 2015"

FIXATION
During our tour in the histology lab of SEAFDEC, the professors there showed us how they make tissue slides and the first step of this is called fixation. Fixation is a critical step in the preparation of histological sections by which biological tissues are preserved from decay, thereby preventing autolysis or putrefaction. This is the step of preparation in which the professors showed us how fixation is being prepared. They introduced to us the different types of fixatives being used for every different specimen. 10% formalin solution is used commonly to preserve the tissue. They said that the choice of fixation method and specific fixative may depend on the processing steps appropriate in that particular case. In this, I conclude that fixation is used to preserve the tissues and that it is a major note to remember to preserve the tissue first before anything else.

PROCESSING
After fixation, the next step is the processing. Tissue processing is done to remove water from the biological tissues, replacing such water with a medium that solidifies, setting very hard and so allowing extremely thin sections to be sliced. This is important because biological tissue must be supported in an extremely hard solid matrix to enable sufficiently thin sections to be cut. It's the step in which the professor showed us how the tissues were dehydrated and cleared to remove dirt and other particles that it not a part of the tissue to make better and correct observations. We were amazed by how organized the solutions used for processing and how many minutes it take to process each tissue. With this basis, I conclude that processing is the step which dehydrates, clears and infiltrates the tissue with paraffin wax,

EMBEDDING
This third step allows orientation of the specimen in a "block" that can be sectioned and is easy to store and handle. It is the step after the tissues are being dehydrated and cleared and is before being sliced into tiny sections. They showed to us how to put tissues inside the paraffin wax. They demonstrated how to make small boxes where they will put the paraffin wax and the specimen's muscle tissue. We enjoyed enjoyedtaking pictures as we waited for the paraffin to cool down.

SECTIONING
After the paraffin cool down, it was taken from the small box to be sectioned. The last step in this tissue histology preparation is sectioning wherein using a microtome as for it will produce very thin sections that are placed on a microscope slide ready for staining. One of the professors showed us how to sectioned the tissue using the microtome. We were mesmerized by how fast she do the sectioning and without even fifteen nminutes, she already finished it. This is the last and final stage of the preparation and it is now prepared for staining.