Reaction Paper #6

Terrorism Reaction Paper

According to Webster's New World dictionary terrorism is the unlawful use or threatened use of force, a violence by a person or an organized group against people and property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons. Terror cannot be handled by the same standards as war. The eradication of terrorists are a necessity, but not through the facade of war. War is and always has been reserved for countries or between factions within the same country. I understand the need to eliminate those that pose a risk to this great land. 

Terrorism is an international problem in today’s global community. Many nations are affected, whether directly or indirectly. Most nations oppose terrorism, while others condone or even support active, brutal terrorism and terrorist groups. Danger, helplessness, and sadness are synonyms for terrorism. Terrorists know no friends and recognize no rules. What makes the tactics of terrorists even more dangerous is the fact that they offer no easy means of retaliation. They strike at the time and place of their choosing. They choose soft targets and have no uneasiness about killing innocent civilians in places less likely to be the attention of security measures. They do not need a high-powered and complex army, just a fanatic and diabolical bent of mind, some wealthy financiers and a handful of mercenaries or executioners.

Terrorism has also led me to a new perspective on life. It forced me to consider what should be most important in my life. I have become a great deal closer to my family. I enjoy just being able to spend time with them. I realized how fortunate I am to have that safe haven to console me in times of need. Terrorism made me become conscious of the fact that I want a family of my own. I have by no means, thought that I needed children to be happy with my life

“The purpose of terrorism lies not just in the violent act itself. It is in producing terror. It sets out to inflame, to divide, to produce consequences which they then use to justify further terror.”
--Tony Blair