Chapter 5: Confrontation

The teenagers sat in silence, cautious of the creature that sought them out. Yukari glanced around the crate's corner, exhaling nervously upon seeing the apparition facing away from their location. A cursed presence lingered in the air.

"It doesn't know where we are," whispered the purple-haired boy. His voice was shakier than usual. "I'll contact Miss Yamakado."

The teenager took out his phone and entered a passcode. Just after pressing 'call', he let out a quiet gasp.

"There's... no signal."

"The curtain," murmured Mizuki in a frail tone, pointing up at the indigo light shining through the ceiling panes.

Yukari sighed. He set the device down on the ground before unwrapping the scarf from his neck and moving closer to the injured teammate. The purple-haired teenager flinched, staring at the bleeding wound.

It... doesn't matter. It's just a stupid scarf.

After a few moments, he tied the scarf around Mizuki's ankle.

"Thank you," whispered the blue-haired boy with an appreciative smile. "I'll buy you another scarf."

Yukari frowned. "No, it's my fault we're in this mess to begin with."

A distorted voice startled the two sorcerers.

"Where are they?!"

A loud stomp followed the inhuman speech. Mizuki trembled. The purple-haired teenager checked behind the crate for a second time; the apparition was now further away, planted beside a set of broken cardboard boxes. Its picture-perfect stillness had the potential to effortlessly creep almost anyone out. The boy shivered and glanced back at his teammate.

"It's looking for us."

The blue-haired boy sighed in response and closed his eyes. "I wish Hinotori were here."

"Yeah," responded Yukari. "Just what grade is that thing?"

"I'm... not sure. I've never fought anything stronger than a second-grade curse before." Mizuki gazed at the blood-soaked scarf wrapped around his ankle. "But since it can use cursed techniques, it's probably a semi-first-grade at least. There's also the fact it knew how to conceal its cursed energy..."

Another loud stomp sounded throughout the building, startling the two sorcerers. The purple-haired teenager mustered up enough courage to check behind the crate again — yet quickly regretted his decision. The cursed spirit still stood far away, except it now faced towards their hiding spot. Yukari felt his heart skip a beat. He moved his head back reflexively, praying that the apparition's black pupils had not perceived him. The boy held his breath. Silence.

"Where... where are they?!"

The purple-haired teenager exhaled slowly, relieved.

At this rate, we're both going to die. I've got to think of something.

He scoured the factory with his gaze, noticing a rusty red door roughly thirty metres away from where they were sitting. Above it was a bright sign depicting a green humanoid figure running through a white door. Yukari's eyes widened.

A fire exit. This is perfect.

"Mizuki, do you still have your cards?" asked the fourth-grade sorcerer.

"No," replied the wounded ally. "I dropped them when you got attacked by the curse." He sighed again and crossed his arms before making eye contact with Yukari. "Did you have an idea?"

The purple-haired teenager nodded. "Yeah, but there's no hope of getting them without that thing noticing."

A chilling sound caught the boy off guard — one that was fearfully familiar. He shifted his vision to a mannequin lying near the fire door, watching as a collection of aggravated eyes sprouted from its battered body. Yukari froze.