Chapter 7: Theatrical Illusion

The rainfall had already ceased, allowing the sun's beams to brighten up the previously overcast sky. A secluded road cleaved through the nearby nature; a black vehicle drove upon it.

"We'll arrive at Jujutsu High in about an hour," announced Miss Yamakado, her eyes fixed on the asphalt ahead. She gasped and slammed the brakes, snapping Yukari back to reality. The car was brought to a halt.

An injured woman crept out of the forest, screaming for help. Miss Yamakado urgently unlocked the car doors and exited the vehicle, leaving the teenager to do the same. They rushed in her direction. The boy flinched and came to an abrupt stop.

Hold on... Something isn't right.

Yukari felt a strange sense of unease. He glanced at Miss Yamakado, who had almost reached the woman.

This presence...

The teenager's eyes widened. "Wait, it's a trap!"

A subtle smile spread across the wounded woman's lips as she dissolved into a turquoise pool of light. The boy turned around, met by the sight of an unopened parasol umbrella being swung at his head. He threw his arm over his face before flying several metres backwards and crashing into the rough asphalt road.

"Yukari!" yelled Miss Yamakado.

The teenager's eyes gradually reopened. He trembled, clutching his right forearm. The smartly-dressed woman raced to his side — her expression aghast.

"Interesting! You reinforced your arm with cursed energy to mitigate the strike. Pretty amusing, don't you think?" jeered a condescending voice nourished by narcissism.

The boy looked up. Standing about five metres away from him was a young man no older than nineteen. His hair was a turquoise hue, matching the pearl necklace and pair of pearl bracelets around his neck and wrists respectively; its style consisted of two side bangs reaching a few centimetres past his chin, along with the rest flowing freely down his head and stopping just above the shoulders. The man's eyes were a jade-green colour — identical to the t-shirt beneath his light grey cardigan. He was also wearing moderately baggy teal trousers, as well as light grey boots with teal laces. Overall, he seemed a little taller than Kana.

Yukari struggled to his feet, maintaining a steady gaze on the newcomer. He noticed the unopened, jade-green parasol in the man's left hand. It had a black handle, and the entire object was covered in a faint turquoise light. The teenager released his arm yet continued to shiver.

It's... a curse user.

"Who are you?" demanded the boy, hostility embedded throughout his tone. He gestured with his hand, motioning Miss Yamakado to stand further away.

The man chuckled, giving Yukari a sly smile. "Sayume Kanmuri... I'm surprised you didn't know already, Yukari Tsumeyami."

"I tend to ignore unimportant things," responded the teenager.

How does he know my full name? This is bad... I have to protect Miss Yamakado.

Sayume's smirk vanished. Turquoise light began to envelop his entire body, its intensity increasing in milliseconds. The curse user narrowed his eyes.

"Then I'm sure you won't mind if I kill you."

A flash of turquoise light caught the boy's attention. He glanced to the right, spotting a stream of arrows flying towards him. Before Yukari could react, the arrows had dissolved and the parasol was being swung at his head.

The teenager sprang backwards, clasping his hands and shrouding them in cursed energy. Two dark puddles manifested beside him. A shadow hand erupted from each swamp, extending in the man's direction like spears.