Chapter 17: Ephemerality

The inaugural springtime sunshine cast its glow over Shinjuku. Crowds of chatty citizens wandered through the city as a black car parked outside one of the many Japanese restaurants residing in the district; Yukari exited the vehicle, shielding his eyes from the sunlight.

I wonder what this meeting is about.

"The others are waiting for us inside," announced Ms Yamakado while stepping out onto the pavement. She locked the car behind her and walked towards the entrance. The teenager followed.

Upon entering the building, the two were greeted by a well-dressed waiter. "Welcome! Do you have a reservation?"

"Yes, under the name Sairousoku," replied the woman.

Yukari blinked. Kana made the reservation?

"This way," instructed the waiter. He led the two down a corridor and stopped in front of a closed shoji screen — several faint silhouettes visible through the paper panels. "The other guests are just up ahead. I wish you a pleasant meal." The man bowed and left.

Ms Yamakado smiled slightly. "Why don't you open the door, Yukari?"

The boy wrapped his fingers around the edge of a wooden frame before sliding the shoji screen open.

"Happy Birthday!"

Yukari's eyes widened; Mizuki, Hinotori, Shinji and Mrs Yokiuji stood in the middle of the room, with Kana at their centre. Each person wore a different-coloured party hat, complementing the bright balloons and radiant ribbons decorating their surroundings. A wide variety of Japanese dishes furnished the large kotatsu table behind them.

The teenager gasped and glanced at Kana — who retained a heartfelt smile.

"Last month, you told me you've never celebrated a birthday in your life," she stated gloomily. "It's kind of late, but I still wanted to arrange something."

Tears filled the boy's eyes.

"W-wait, don't cry!" exclaimed the female sorcerer, reaching out with her hand.

Yukari wiped his tears away before smiling at his friends. "Don't worry, I'm okay."

The purple-haired teenager sat at the table between Kana and Hinotori, a party hat matching his hair colour resting atop his head.

"Let's dig in!" yelled the sharp-toothed sorcerer while snatching a platter of tempura. All of a sudden, he froze; Kana stared at Hinotori, her murderous eyes set on his soul.

"Leave some for Yukari."

Goosebumps covered the sharp-toothed sorcerer's skin, followed by an angry scowl. "Hey...! I was gonna serve him!"

"You're just saying that!" snarled the female sorcerer.

Shinji sighed. "Here we go again."

Mizuki watched with a fearful look. "G-guys, not now!"

Kana and Hinotori simultaneously fell silent upon hearing an unfamiliar laugh — one belonging to the purple-haired boy.

"Hold on, guys..." murmured the sharp-toothed sorcerer. "That's the first time I've ever heard Yukari laugh."

The female sorcerer slowly nodded. "Yeah, me too."

"According to my Empath Technique, Yukari is feeling happier than ever before," declared Mrs Yokiuji with a smile.

The purple-haired teenager let out a quiet gasp. "How did you know?"

"It's Mrs Yokiuji's cursed technique," informed Ms Yamakado in a cheerful tone.