Chapter 26: Support System

The singing of cicadas shrouded the canopy of leafy branches shading a stamped concrete pathway lined by granite gravestones — patches of summer sunlight glowing upon its surface. A teenage boy possessing purple hair and light grey eyes ambled along the patterned route, a quintet of Japanese plum blossom flowers held softly in his right hand.

It's been over a year since Yukou Tsugomorii's death.

Yukari stopped before five ornate memorials at the end of the pathway: the two leftmost gravestones displayed the kanji for the names 'Yuumi Yamakado' and 'Kazue Yokiuji' respectively, the two rightmost gravestones displayed the kanji for the names 'Mizuki Hishiya' and 'Shinji Miyogusa' respectively, and the centremost gravestone displayed the kanji for the name 'Itsuka Shinidare'.

After the incident in Shinjuku, as well as what happened in Kyoto a week prior, the public inevitably found out about the existence of curses.

The teenager bowed. He placed a flower in front of each memorial before pressing his palms together and closing his eyes.

That summer was chaotic.

"Rest in peace."

Mass panic, riots, violence... It led to a soar in the birth of cursed spirits throughout Japan. Cursed spirits considerably stronger than usual.

After bowing again, Yukari turned around and began to stroll back along the pathway.

However, those events had their merits. There was an increase in people awakening their latent innate techniques, and many of them joined Jujutsu High to become professional sorcerers.

Society is just now starting to get back on track.

Upon hearing about his mother's death, Mrs Yokiuji's son returned from the United Kingdom to become the new principal of Jujutsu High. He originally wanted to distance himself from the Jujutsu world but decided to return given the aftermath of everything.

Ayato and Shira are still working as Jujutsu Sorcerers, although they both transferred to Tokyo Jujutsu High. At the moment, Shira is being assessed for the rank of semi-first-grade. Ayato can no longer go on solo missions, but this doesn't prevent him from using his shikigami to fight curses. Even so, we're searching for a sorcerer capable of using reverse cursed techniques to heal him and Hinotori.

Speaking of, Hinotori retired from being a sorcerer shortly after what happened in Shinjuku. He's currently studying to become a licensed pyrotechnician — someone who can use his cursed technique to bring joy to people's lives — and said he wants to start a family at some point. I have no doubt he'll be a great father, but... to this day, he still blames himself for the deaths of Mizuki and Shinji.

On that note, the government is building statues to commemorate those who lost their lives while defending Shinjuku, and this cemetery was created specifically for the more than five hundred people who died as a result of Yukou Tsugomorii's terrorism.

Kana's doing exceptionally well, though. She told me about her younger brother, which explained a lot of things. When Kaito died, he inadvertently cursed the storage room where he had been held captive, and Kana was able to use these residuals as evidence against her parents in court. They were both sentenced to life in prison, yet her mother hanged herself soon after the trial. It's ironic.

Furthermore, as the family heir, Kana became the new leader of the Sairousoku Clan. She completely dismantled its oppressive system that favours Jujutsu prowess above all else and aims to create an environment that fosters the well-being of its members.

Kana also launched a national organisation providing support to children from abusive and neglectful households. Not only has she helped a lot of people already, but the government is funding her as well.

And as for me...?

Ever since that day, I haven't been able to manifest my Innate Domain again. Still, I was recently promoted to first-grade and can now control up to thirteen shadow hands at once.

I'm proud to say that I've found what truly makes me happy.

The purple-haired teenager walked through a stone torii gate — stepping into the sunlight.

The future looks bright.

Yukari paused as a refreshing breeze ruffled his hair.

It's true that I can't take back the tears I shed, and it's true that my life wouldn't be considered normal by most people, but I've exorcised my lifelong curse, and I'll continue exorcising curses so that I can live a fulfilling life full of abundance and blessings.

The boy turned to face the cemetery once more.

Why...?

He stared at the distant memorials and clenched his fists resolutely.

Because my name is Yukari Tsumeyami...

A smile of gratitude lit up the purple-haired teenager's face.

...And I'm a Jujutsu Sorcerer.

DERIVATIVE FANWORK

Jujutsu Kaisen: Purple — The End.