Chapter 8: Manifestation

A melting luminescence waned over the horizon, reflected by the layers of fresh snow decorating Tetsujou Prison. Metallic fences embellished with barbed wire surrounded the premises, poised to dissect even the toughest of intruders. Yukari studied the building from afar, shivering. He frowned and glanced at the purple-haired woman standing beside him.

"We're here to investigate the unexplained deaths that occurred within this prison," explained Kana, staring off into the distance. "Several weeks ago, three officers and twelve inmates were found dead in the morning. Forensics revealed the victims had taken their own lives."

A glacial gust of wind swept past the two sorcerers, causing the teenager's scarf to flutter momentarily.

"The cursed energy traces discovered on each cadaver appeared to be identical, suggesting they belong to a single entity. Jujutsu High believes we may be dealing with a first-grade cursed spirit."

The woman paused and narrowed her eyes. "There weren't any other sorcerers available, which is why they sent us — a third-grade and a semi-first-grade sorcerer." She turned her head to the left, meeting the boy's gaze.

"In truth, I requested to take this mission alone, but Mrs Yokiuji stated it was far too dangerous."

Yukari did not reply.

Kana sighed. She brought her attention back to the building before forming a basic mudra with her right hand.

"Emerge from the darkness, blacker than darkness. Purify that which is impure."

A violet cloud materialised high above the prison, stretching into a dome-shaped structure and enveloping the area. The remaining slivers of sunlight adopted its colour, casting an ominous tint throughout the premises.

"I'm not as proficient as Miss Yamakado when it comes to using barrier techniques, so I can't control the curtain's conditions. This is good enough, though."

The woman retrieved a set of keys from her black handbag. She unlocked the old-fashioned prison gate and stepped ahead. The teenager followed. Upon entering the building, the two sorcerers scanned their surroundings: a dreary palette of grey walls, matching the floor and ceiling. Crowded notice boards further filled their vision, as did green plastic chairs fixed to the ground. A stained, transparent pane opposite the entrance highlighted an additional room containing desks and outdated computers.

This must be the reception. It's really quiet.

"Let's keep moving," instructed Kana. Her tone sounded detached.

They made their way into a dark, spacious area containing rows of cells on four different levels with narrow, railed pathways connected to the walls, as well as steep metal staircases between them. The sunset's gleam had already been replaced by the full moon's glimmer, providing faint illumination through a collection of dingy ceiling windows — its shade altered by the curtain.

The woman stopped, surveying the cell block. She turned to face the boy. "The other prisoners have already been evacuated and moved to a different facility, although the curse could be hiding anywhere. Stay near me."

Yukari scowled. "I can take care of myself, you know. I'm sixteen now."

"Wait, when did you turn sixteen?" asked Kana, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Last month, on the nineteenth of January."

"And you didn't tell anyone or celebrate?"

"Yeah...?" The teenager shrugged. "I've never celebrated a birthday in my life."

Why does she care so much?

The woman gasped. She lowered her head and looked away. "I see... I won't forget that."