Chapter 13: Rendezvous

Yukari maintained eye contact with the figure — an experience reminiscent of staring into a mirror. Adrenaline poisoned the teenager's bloodstream as a singular pair of words branded itself into his mind.

Little... Brother?

The boy struggled to his feet, scrutinising the blood-curdling entity lurking in the shadows. Its overpowering aura was unlike anything Yukari had ever encountered: a mixture of malice, cruelty and recklessness merged with quixotic fixation — as well as unfathomable strength.

"I don't know what you're talking about," stated the teenager, his voice fearfully fragile. "I don't have any siblings."

The figure's mouth formed a menacing grin.

"You do now."

A tall and muscular man in his early twenties emerged from the darkness. He possessed purple hair resembling Yukari's — only differentiated by its black tips and slightly shorter length. In addition to his tight purple t-shirt and black trousers, the man sported trainers incorporating both colours. He also wore a purple belt with a gun holster attached on either side. The holster on his right hip was purple and displayed the handle of a black handgun, whereas the holster on his left hip was black and displayed the handle of a purple handgun.

"I'm Yukou Tsugomorii. Your elder brother."

The boy's eyes widened.

"You don't have any relatives capable of utilising Jujutsu, do you?"

Yukari blinked, disturbed.

No way...

A wave of nausea washed over the teenager as his thoughts faded to the charred skeletons sprawled out on the pavement. Skeletons that used to be living, breathing people with friends and family. People who were massacred at the hands of the man standing before him; the man claiming to be his elder brother.

"These residuals were left behind by a cursed technique. I hope you understand why I called you here."

Denial attempted to hijack the boy's mind — yet the truth remained undeniable.

"It's the third occurrence this month."

"You're a murderer," murmured Yukari. His face looked unnaturally pale.

"Those sacrifices were a necessary step towards creating a world free from cursed energy," stated the curse user before narrowing his eyes. "A world where human lives aren't ruined by the existence of cursed spirits."

A shiver crept down the teenager's spine.

What...?

He took a step back and glanced at Kana, who kept whispering to herself.

"Tsugomorii... His last name is Tsugomorii." The woman appeared as if she had just seen a ghost. Her muttering suddenly transformed into shouting.

"That's impossible! The Tsugomorii Clan was annihilated more than a century ago!"

The purple-haired boy turned to his teammate. "Huh...?"

"They were one of three major sorcerer families that have existed since the Heian Era," explained the female sorcerer — trepidation tarnishing her tone. "The other clans united against them after their tremendous power became a threat to humanity. Not to mention, they retain the most despicable reputation of any—"

"Ironic, coming from a member of the Sairousoku Clan."

Yukou chuckled and pointed to the flame-like patterns on Kana's uniform.