Chapter 22: Catharsis

A city-wide concert consisting of gunshots enlivened Nishi-Shinjuku — the occasional shrieking civilian contributing to the harmony. Yukou Tsugomorii traversed the rooftops with speed, firing his handguns in tandem; Itsuka Shinidare blocked a barrage of bullets using her scythe's blade and leapt between two buildings.

I figured out what's up with those handguns.

The man paused by a ledge. He tracked the woman through the Beretta M9's sights, relentlessly pulling the trigger. A litany of lead punctured the cityscape as the sorcerer dashed parallel to the curse user before disappearing behind a wall.

The purple one fires bullets that follow the intended target, whereas the black one seems to possess infinite ammunition.

Two consecutive flashes erupted from the Desert Eagle's muzzle — preceding a pair of sharp, sonorous wails in the vicinity. Yukou grinned. He sprang into the air and spotted Itsuka running along the top of a billboard, his Beretta M9 pointing towards her. The woman met the man's gaze. She vanished, a downpour of projectiles renovating the background with a constellation of holes.

Sharpshooting with two handguns at once is difficult. He's focusing on the Beretta M9 in his dominant hand while shooting the Desert Eagle without aiming.

The curse user landed back on the rooftop. He turned his head and ducked — a skeletal blade sweeping centimetres past his hair — before backflipping over the building's edge while pulling the Desert Eagle's trigger. The sorcerer deflected the gunshot with her weapon's handle and dove in his direction.

Yukou's feet crashed into the roof of a parked truck, the force of the impact rocking the vehicle. Itsuka twisted her body in midair to evade the ensuing gunfire, swinging her scythe downwards. The man disappeared as a crescent-shaped slash sundered the truck. He reappeared further up the road and aimed his Beretta M9 at the woman yet again. Terrified civilians cowered inside nearby shops, their shrieks drowned out by the incessant ignition of gunpowder accompanying the sorcerer's sinuous sprint towards the curse user.

Amidst the shooting, a stray bullet shattered a display window before piercing a woman's skull; her blood splattered a rack of floral dresses, painting new patterns onto the fabric.

Yukou leaned back — narrowly eluding an oblique cut to the throat — and jumped onto a building. Itsuka paused upon hearing a child crying. She glanced at the dead woman lying on the floor of a shop, a little girl sobbing beside her.

"Whoops," chuckled the man, reloading the Desert Eagle. "My bad."

An inferno of darkness consumed the Death Sentence Sorcerer's body. She stared into the curse user's eyes, a labyrinth of blood vessels pervading her scleras. "You deserve to die."

Yukou smirked. "That's rich, coming from the woman who cursed her family to death at the age of five."

Death Sentence... Itsuka Shinidare's infamous innate technique. Any human or cursed spirit whose cursed energy comes into contact with her own meets an excruciating end.

The man narrowed his eyes.

Luckily for me, there's a catch. Not only does Itsuka Shinidare's lifespan diminish each time she curses someone to death — the severity increasing alongside the power of the victim — but Death Sentence also requires the target's cursed technique to be active.

He momentarily shifted his sight to the Desert Eagle and sighed under his breath.

Just a single magazine left for the Desert Eagle of Persistent Pursuit. Even worse, the Beretta of Boundless Bullets isn't much use with all these obstacles. I have an idea.