Chapter 15: Fear Response

The tapping of footsteps desecrated the Domain's deafening silence. Yukari paused and glanced at a graffitied wall. Two bloodshot eyes stared back, a disfigured corpse serving as their nest. The teenager shivered.

What kind of Domain is this...?

"Be careful of those needles," warned Mizuki, his face pale. "They could be laced with anything."

"Okay."

The boy diverted his attention away from the portrait's gruesome gaze. Out of the corner of his left eye, Yukari caught a glimpse of the cadaver blinking. He jolted backwards and quickened his pace.

Approximately twenty minutes later, Hinotori froze — prompting the others to do the same. He clenched his teeth, glaring down an empty corridor.

"The presence of cursed energy is strongest in that room," alerted the sorcerer while pointing at a distant metal door. Barbaric graffiti defaced its surface, their artwork portraying a human getting skinned alive by rusty scalpels.

Mizuki clutched his playing cards. "That's probably where the curse is hiding."

"Take this, Yukari."

The purple-haired teenager turned his head. Hinotori held his backpack by the strap.

"Activating my Pyrotechnics technique simultaneously detonates any objects imbued with my cursed energy, so I'll be fighting using hand-to-hand combat. Throw this at the curse as soon as you find an opening."

Yukari grabbed the backpack and slung it over his right shoulder. He stumbled slightly, adjusting to the added weight.

"One more thing..."

Hinotori narrowed his eyes.

"We only get one shot to exorcise this bastard. Please don't let us down."

"I won't," responded the boy — a resolute tone strengthening his voice. "You guys can count on me."

I'm nervous, but we'll be okay as long as we stick together.

The sharp-toothed sorcerer grinned. "Let's settle this, then."

As Hinotori approached the disquieting door, he noticed that Mizuki's hands were shaking and paused. "Hey, are you alright?"

"Are you really sure... about this mission?"

Hinotori chuckled. "It'll be fine, dude. Trust me."

"Thanks," replied Mizuki, a weak smile lighting up his face. "You're right. We've got this."

Hinotori gave his teammates one last nod before placing his palms on the metal door. "Three... two... one!"

The sorcerers burst into the room.

Several humans spasmed on the floor — a blend of blood and saliva spewing from their spluttering mouths. Agonised, grating gasps tormented the victims. A man wearing a dark grey beanie tilted his head backwards, a coating of dried blood concealing his right eye.

"P-p-please..."

The man's left eyeball rolled back into his skull.

"K-kill... m-me..."

Hinotori remained paralysed.

This was a stupid idea. We should've never come here.

He blinked and hurriedly turned to his teammates.

"We're abandoning the mission! We need to get the hell out of—"

Inhuman chewing noises echoed in the vicinity. Hinotori's eyes widened. He directed his gaze towards the corridor, quickly falling silent. Yukari and Mizuki looked at each other; they turned around before flinching in horror.