Chapter 21: Synergy

The dazzling detonations of ferocious fireworks flickered throughout the tunnel underneath Omekaido Overbridge. Hinotori sprinted alongside Kezume, retrieving a handful of firecrackers from an opening in the black backpack fastened against his shoulders; he dodged an array of aerial syringes and cracked his index finger.

Extension Technique...

The sharp-toothed sorcerer hurled the pyrotechnics at the apparition.

Delayed Detonation!

A cluster of explosions consumed the air. The cursed spirit appeared beside Hinotori before swinging a syringe clutched in his right hand towards him; the sharp-toothed sorcerer sprang to the right, uncovering a wave of playing cards flying through a gap in the wall behind him. Kezume's eyes widened as the cursed cardboard grazed his hospital gown and ignited.

Extension Technique: Contact Combustion!

Twelve miniature flashes lit up the apparition — their abruptness akin to the popping of popcorn kernels. Smoke shrouded the zone of impact. The cursed spirit emerged outside the tunnel with numerous chunks of flesh missing from his body. He stopped in the middle of the road and eyed the two sorcerers.

"You guys are so coordinated!" exclaimed Kezume, licking his lips. "You've gotta be the best of friends, right?"

The sharp-toothed sorcerer looked inside his backpack before scowling.

Damn it! I'm running out of pyrotechnics... I've already cracked most of my knuckles, too.

Mizuki took a beat-up box of playing cards out of his uniform's shirt pocket.

It was a good idea to start carrying two card decks wherever I go. Even so... all I have left is what remains of my father's one.

An unsettling smile spread across the apparition's face as his wounded body and torn clothing regenerated. With a syringe in each hand, he stabbed himself in the neck; his pupils constricted, his jugular veins swelling from beneath the skin.

Extension Technique: Biochemical Boost!

Saliva streamed down the cursed spirit's chin. He freed the medical needles puncturing his neck and pointed them at the two sorcerers.

"I can't wait to terminate that beautiful friendship!"

Kezume rushed back into the tunnel — his euphoric screams resounding behind him. A collection of cards neared the apparition. He swerved sideways — lightly planting his feet on a graffitied wall and running along its surface — before throwing a roundhouse kick at Hinotori's head.

The sharp-toothed sorcerer blocked the blow with his left forearm; the cursed spirit dove downwards while thrusting his syringes towards him. Hinotori lurched laterally, the medical needles gliding past his face. He rammed his fist into Kezume's upside-down abdomen and sent him flailing through the air.

The apparition landed on his feet before sliding to a stop. He noticed twelve playing cards zooming in his direction, the sharp-toothed sorcerer following closely behind. The cursed spirit turned his head: the blue-haired sorcerer stood near the opposite end of the tunnel, approximately ten metres away from him. Kezume's mouths warped into an elongated grin of exaltation.

An exquisite opportunity has presented itself!

Hinotori gasped as the apparition dashed deeper into the tunnel — approaching his friend. "No, wait!"

Mizuki recoiled upon spotting the cursed spirit racing towards him. He released his technique on the airborne cards and tossed part of the deck at Kezume. The apparition dropped his syringes — transferring his momentum into a forward roll while evading the cardboard — before slamming his right fist into the sorcerer's stomach.