Chapter 18: Death Throes

A congregation of dimly-lit figures bowed before a teenage boy clad in extravagant black and purple robes, sitting on a throne near the end of a vast hall. He gazed down upon the people, his light grey eyes glimmering from the wavering candlelight. Beside him stood a similarly-dressed man holding a Japanese scroll, the kanji for 'Tsugomorii' stark against its surface.

"Through decades of cursed energy amassment — passed down from progenitor to offspring — our blessing from the universe has made itself incarnate. The title bestowed upon him venerates the truth: Yukou Tsugomorii!"

The man's bellowing voice echoed throughout the chamber.

"Rejoice! Our Guiding Light shall fulfil its destiny. Devastation befalls the wretched Miyogusa and Sairousoku Clans — for they are soon to be vanquished!"

Yukou's eyes widened.

Hold on...

He stared at the man.

These people... are simply using me to accomplish their goals.

"Alas, for we lament the traitorous entities who sought not to be saved; the souls who achieved their purpose to manifest our key and yet — beset with ignorance — fled beneath the veil of night."

My entire existence is nothing more than an assignment.

A black puddle materialised underneath the man's feet.

"Fret not! Once found, they shall be brought to—"

A geyser of black fluid erupted from the darkness; the congregation raised their heads, watching as a charred skeleton slammed into the ground — the burnt bones shattering upon impact. Silence plagued the room.

"I'm your 'Guiding Light', huh?"

The people transferred their gaze to the boy, their expressions aghast.

"That's wonderful."

A vengeful grin spread across Yukou's face as he slowly brought his hands together.

"I'll guide you all straight to hell!"

Domain Expansion:

A boiling, black deluge flooded the hall — muffling the agonised choir produced by floundering humans. Darkness shrouded the area. The scent of scorched flesh pervaded the room, yet the vestiges of its origin had already departed.

"Searing Shadow Swampland."

As if trampling over the spirits of those newly deceased, Yukou Tsugomorii sauntered towards a distant doorway.

Eight years later, during the present...

A purple curtain stained the sun's rays, imposing its hue upon Central Kyoto. The faint fragrance of cherry blossoms blended with the metallic malodour of bloodied corpses — the latter enhanced by panicked human cacophonies. A teenage girl possessing black, slightly-curly neck-length hair and dark green eyes hurled a throwing knife at a wasp-like creature; the monster disintegrated as numerous cursed spirits dashed towards her.

Damn it, there's too many!

On the opposite side of the road, an older teenage boy retaining long crimson hair reminiscent of a centipede's legs and light yellow eyes observed the transpiring massacre while standing paralysed.

"Ayato!" yelled a blond boy wearing a Jujutsu High uniform. "Go help Shira! I'll take care of—"

An aerial rope smashed into his head — an outburst of blood obscuring the impact.