D Part 9

(I do not own the images to these stories.)
***********************************
What the hell had just happened? It felt like a nuclear bomb had gone off inside her head. Eve kept trying to force herself to open her eyes, as she struggled with an intense migraine. Not one of those headaches where she wished she was dead. No, in actuality, she would have rather had one of those.

Her eyelids began to flutter, even though they felt like they weighed a ton, as she did her best to open them. But even when she finally did manage to open her eyes, everything seemed to be blurry. What was probably only a few seconds felt more like an eternity just trying to get her vision into focus. While her sight began to clear, she heard a man's voice from across the room.

"Thank God you're finally awake, I was starting to worry." As she continued to blink, and get her vision into focus, Eve wasn't sure she could believe her eyes. Standing across from her was none other than David Lester. The very man that not only interrupted her engagement party but was also indirectly responsible for Malcolm's need to show dominance over her.

What the hell was he doing there? A better question, where were they to begin with? "What are you doing here, David?"

He had a solemn look of regret, as he closed his eyes and sighed. "I heard about the car accident right after my lawyer had sprung me from jail. I was worried that I might have been the cause of it and have been visiting you here in the hospital for the last couple of days."

"Days?" Eve gasped. "Hospital?"

She immediately shot up as she was stunned by this revelation. But as she did, a sharp pain struck her brain's frontal lobe, and she moaned in agony. She winced in pain as she closed her eyes, while her finger tips went right to her temples.

"Careful." She heard David say. "You still need your rest; you don't want to overdo it."

Trying to help alleviate some of the pain, her eyes remained shut as she began to massage her temples in a circular motion. Eve then sighed in frustration. "What happened after the accident, David? Do you have a death wish? Malcolm will kill you if he finds you here."

"That's not really a problem right now." David told her.

Eve's eyes shot open in horror as she had all of a sudden been bombarded with a wide spectrum of emotions. Was he dead? Did that mean she was free? A part of her wanted him dead, while at the same time she felt guilty for hoping that it was true. And yet, there was even a small part of her who would have felt devastated if he died. She felt sick to her stomach, as she couldn't believe the horrible thoughts that were going through her head. "David? Are you saying that Malcom is--?"

"Would that really be so terrible?" he asked as he interrupted her. He nonchalantly folded his arms, as his face held no emotion.

Eve couldn't believe that he could be so cold and began to cry. "David! How can you say that?"

"Oh come now Eve." He scoffed. "I refuse to believe that someone like you could ever love a monster like him. You have quite the nasty bruise on your face. And we both know damn good and well it's not from the accident."

Confused about how he found out about how she got the bruise on her face, Eve wanted answers. "How could you possibly know that?"

He folded his arms and sighed. "You've always been a natural beauty, Eve. You were never one for wearing too much make-up. Teenage girls who are trying to look older, older women who are trying to look younger, women who are trying to cover up what they at least think are flaws, or women who are hiding the handy work of their abusive significant other are the only ones who wear as much makeup as you had on the other night. Since the first three scenarios don't apply to you, I'm going to assume it's the latter."