D Part 10

(I do not own the images to these stories.)
*****************************************
As soon as David left the room, Eve immediately rang for the nurse. What was going on? Where were her parents? Did they even know what happened? Because of the incident with David happening before her parents were able to arrive at the party, she didn't even have a chance to see them. Did they ever show up?

In no time at all, a nurse came into the room. Normally they didn't come in that quickly since they usually had so many other patience to deal with. But this poor woman must have ran as soon as Eve hit the call button, as she seemed to be out of breath. "Oh I am so glad to see you're awake. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, considering." Eve answered. "But I have no idea what is going on? Where is my family?"

"They were here earlier today but went home to get some sleep." The nurse replied. "But I will call them as soon as possible. They wanted to be informed as soon as you woke up."

Eve wasn't sure if the nurse was telling her the truth or not and wanted to test her. "How's my fiancé, Mr. Lexington?"

The nurse stopped cold, as if afraid to answer her question. "I'm afraid I don't have that information. The doctor, as well as the head of hospital security, wants to talk to you anyway. I will inform the both of them that you are awake, as well as your parents."

The nurse seemed nervous, as she kept looking towards the door. She was definitely acting jittery, which only made Eve suspect that she was hiding something. "What's going on? Why can't you tell me about Malcolm?"

"Because Mr. Lexington is on a different floor." The nurse answered. "His medical condition is private. But your doctor will explain everything when he comes to check on you. Now then, I must get your vitals. If you're hungry, once I'm done taking your vital signs, you may order from the menu on the home channel of your TV. Hopefully both your family and the doctor will be here soon to answer any of your questions. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you. But I am just a nurse, I don't have any information beyond this floor."

Feeling embarrassed by her paranoia, Eve apologized. "No I'm sorry, I've just been through a lot."

The nurse then smiled and began to take Eve's pulse. "It's okay. I completely understand. I suppose I'm acting a bit jumpy. I guess I'm nervous for the same reason that the head of security wants to talk to you."

"Why does the head of security want to talk to me?" Eve asked.

The nurse sighed while wrapping the blood pressure cuff around Eve's upper arm. "I might have said too much, and I don't want to frighten you. But that domestic terrorist that interrupted your engagement party was able to escape from police custody, and the authorities were unable to find him. There is some concern that he may try and make his way here."

Was she actually talking about David? He was hardly that. Plus he told her that he had made bail. Surely, she had to be talking about someone else. "Domestic terrorist, David Lester?"

"I heard that he threatened yours and Mr. Lexington's life at the party." The nurse replied. "And because of the accident, people started to speculate whether or not he had something to do with it. I mean he was in police custody at the time of the accident. But some are beginning to wonder if he had an accomplice. The whole thing is such a tragedy, especially since Mr. Lexington's poor driver was killed in the accident."

"Oh my god!" Eve cried. "The driver was killed?" She barely knew Malcolm's chauffeur, but he had always been polite to her. So hearing the news that he had been killed was devastating. But David's involvement in the accident didn't make any since. If he had been trying to kill them, then why didn't he kill her when he just visited her a few moments ago?"