D Part 11

(I do not own the images to these stories.)
**********************************************

The nurse had a wide-eyed look of surprise on her face, as she continued her heavy breathing. "Was what a--? Oh my god! You're awake! I need to get the doctor!"

Before Eve could say a word, the nurse ran out of the room. Stunned by what had just occurred, she was even more puzzled by her surroundings. She was in a lavish private hospital suite. But the room looked completely different. What the hell was going on?

Gone were the light peach walls, the darker peach drapes, and the ornate crystal chandelier. Instead the room had burgundy walls, and matching burgundy drapes. And albeit not a crystal one, but an equally ornate bronze chandelier. When was she moved to another room?

Wanting answers, Eve was about to ring for the nurse. However before she got the chance the nurse, followed by a doctor, soon came into the room. A grandfatherly type, he smiled as soon as he looked at her. "Hello, Miss Roth. My name is Dr. Mitcham. You have been placed under my care since you arrived here after the accident. I am so glad to see that you are finally awake. How are you feeling?"

His reaction only made her feel even more confused. "Finally awake? I only dozed off for a minute."

Dr. Mitcham looked at her and sighed. "Miss Roth, what was the last thing you remember?"

"Malcolm and I were in an accident after the party." She replied. "Then I woke up two days later, but in a different hospital room. I kept asking about Malcolm, but nobody would tell me anything. So I snuck out of my room. I overheard the nurses talking, they said that Malcolm was in room 1250. Even though this is room 1202, the nurse that checked on me said he was on a different floor. So I went to his room, and another doctor caught me. But I saw Malcolm, his entire body had been burned beyond recognition. But then I woke up, as if it all had been a bad dream. And this room is different than the one before. I don't understand."

"Miss Roth, we are in the penthouse floor of the hospital." The doctor explained. "This is the 15th floor, not the 12th. But there is something you need to know. You haven't been asleep for two days; you've been in a coma for a month."

Eve's heart stopped as she couldn't believe what he had just said. "What? No that can't be!"

"I'm afraid so." Dr. Mitcham replied. "But the good news is that you are finally awake."

Eve couldn't wrap her mind around what was happening. What felt like a bolt of lightning struck her brain as her hand went right to her forehead while she winced in pain. Her eyes squinted as she looked at the blurred image of Dr. Mitcham reaching out to her as he seemed concerned. "Are you alright, Miss Roth?"

But she was more interested in answers than she was in pity from others, and just ignored his question. "Where is Malcolm?"

Dr. Mitcham just looked at her and sighed. "The both of you sustained head injuries, and it was necessary to induce comas in each of you to prevent swelling. You just happened to wake up before he did."

"Is he going to be alright?" she asked.

"I don't know yet." The doctor replied. "Like we did with you, we'll just have to play the waiting game. You two were actually very lucky. Both Mr. Lexington's chauffeur and the other driver were killed on impact."

"Oh my god." Eve cried. "I'm so sorry, I barely knew Malcolm's driver. But he was always so courteous to me. And I have no idea who the other driver was, but it's so sad." She was stunned by the news. Everything the nurse had told her, while she was supposedly dreaming, seemed to be the truth. But how was that possible if she had been asleep this whole time?