Chapter Four

A few weeks later, Sheila called Anil to tell him she was pregnant but was unsure if he was the father. Anil only heard the part of the news where Sheila said she was pregnant which excited him. He thought that it would be his first biological child. He held his head high for the first time in a long time. As time went by, the news about Sheilas pregnancy reached back to Sarah. It first surprised Sarah that any woman would desire to have consensual sex with Anil. Secondly that he may actually be the father of Sheilas child. Her prayer was for the child to not be his knowing how awful Anil treated her. Every day she thought of it, she chuckled to herself more and more. Meanwhile, Sarah formed a friendship with a  young Negro man who was twenty five and whose name was Yohance Grant. She had to be careful because of the macowcous neighbours who could possibly report to Samaroo. That was how she was unable to marry her true lover who was of African descent. From a child growing up, Samaroo advised all his children to go with an East Indian, a rich white man and never a negro since the children could be dark and it wluld displease him. In her teens all her boyfriends were of African descent all of which Samaroo found some way to make them leave his daughter alone.

Now years later, Sarah was stuck in a marriage with a man she despised and two children whose father just left them without explanation. Often times, she fantasized on what her life would have been like if she married someone she truly loved. Her love was forbidden and now it bit her in the butt every day. When she thought about it, she wondered if Samaroo had anything to do with her lover leaving Trinidad without explanation. She knew she had to quickly find a negro man to impregnate her so she would never carry Anil's child. She thought of going with Yohance who was a police officer who lived thirty minutes walking distance from where she was. When she went to talk to Yohance, she left her children with her friend, Erica who asked no questions about her whereabouts. Five months later, Sarah was at it again, making love to Yohance hoping he could impregnate her which he did. She knew that Anil would want another child. That night, Anil overpowered Sarah and raped her. This time she thought about leaving him but she needed a good job. She could not kill him or else she would make a jail leaving her children behind. She loved her children more than anything else. Ever so often, she thought of whether Sheila in fact was carrying Anil's child.

This time Sarah experienced no pregnancy symptoms except for a missed period. Life for her as a housewife was as usual, taking care of her husband, her children and the house with occasional conversations with Erica about neighbourhood baccannal. Sarah learnt that Miss Rose was Samaroo's cousin who was the informant, some of the other women in the neighbourhood brought sailors into their home while their husbands worked, some of the men stayed out all night at the bar drinking their sorrows away then came home to beat their wives, and that the East Indian children played with the Negro children when their parents left to go out leaving the neighours to watch them. All this she learnt from Erica, the silent macaw.