Chapter Six

Five months later, Anil's mother, Rita showed up to their place to talk to Sarah who luckily was home from work. Rita was so glad to finally see her daughter in law. She finally got a break from home to run away to check on Anil and Sarah. Sarah offered Rita some bake and bojol which was Rita's favourite so she did not refuse. Afterwards,Rita switched her attention from the food to Sarah. She heard rumours of Sarah's affairs with men of african descent and her dougla children. Sarah did not deny those rumors nor did she admit the truth. Rita was quite disappointed by who she chose to make children with but she confessed that Anil was unable to bear any children because as a child he had a freak accident. She advised Sarah that she should have been intimate with an indian man so no suspicions would have been raised about who their biological father was. This news disturbed Sarah especially when she thought that if she fell in love with him, she would have been trying to have children with him to no avail. She knew if Anil knew of this he would be devastated and possibly drink himself to death. Additionally, he would put her and the children out or even assault them. Sarah was livid at Rita for continuing to uphold the promise of an arranged marriage to her son when she knew he was infertile. Sarah wanted to be a mother but luckily she was one without Anil's sperm. Another part of her was glad he could never be a father because of how abusive he was to her. At the same time, she knew that it was Anil's dream to be a father. Another shocking revelation of Rita was that in fact she was dougla but she took more of the East Indian side. Throughout her marriage, she used a hot comb to straighten her hair. Luckily, Anil came out looking fully Indian like his father. Not in Sarah's wildest dreams did she think Anil's mother was a dougla. She then wondered what else Rita kept from her that she should know about.

Right as Rita was about to say something else,Anil walked in surprisingly sober. Every time he came from work, he was drunk or with a beer bottle in his hand. Anil was not surprised his mother just showed up to talk to Sarah because it's something she was known for, showing up unannounced. Rita then blurted out the obvious, "Boy, I hope ya know dem chiren not yours eh... ya had to have known when you watch dem curls dey have." Anil remained calm and responded, "Ma, I know dem chiren aint mine  from de day dem born till now.. I know.. I took care of meh wife and she bastard chiren so she won't be on the streets since I see how daddy did it when ya bring home de outside chile, Jacob.. he aint look nothing like we.. but daddy aint put you out so I doing de same with meh wife.." Rita cuped her hands over her mouth in shock while Sarah opened her eyes wide.
Anil continued, "I love meh wife.. datz why I does put she in she place.. plus I know she working even though I told her I'd take care of things. I leave she to do shit.. she just hadda make sure it have food on de table when I come home. I've been lied to by meh ma and meh wife.. I should leave aluyah asses right now and tell she fadda. Maybe he know dem chiren ain't mine.. Mom did you even know about my freak accident?"

Rita hesitantly responded, "Yes, son I knew.. you weren't supposed to know anything.."

Anil wondered when would she have told him and if they had a childless marriage what would have been the solution. This infuriated Anil so much that he just stormed out the house. His whole life was a lie and everyone around him were liars. He wondered why in the world would he have been dealt such an unlucky hand. His life was unfair and there was nothing he could have done about it. Anil resorted to drinking away his problems at the bar then passing out there until the next morning.