Chapter Ten

Anil dined at Yo Sing Chinese restaurant by himself eating noodles and chicken and looking back on his life. He grew up seeing his father beat the crap out of his mother for answering him, not finishing cooking when he was hungry, for denying him sex or anything he did not like. His father always told him to keep women in line with the fist. His father took him on fishing trips and taught him what it meant to be a man. He remembered distinctly his father saying, "Son, let me teach you all about being a man and how to deal with a woman. First thing you hadda do is toughen up, deepen yuh voice, have a serious face and let no one cross you. Doh cry, doh let no body see you cry cuz datz fo sissies. Yuh is a man. If yuh have issues doh tell yuh woman bout it, it makes you look weak. Instead drink a beer. Yuh see how i does handle yuh mudda. If she displeases me, i does fix she good. Dats what yuh have to so. Yuh is de head and she cant tell yuh what the hell to do. I is man of meh house. Yuh going to be man of yuh house. Learn fass from me." At that time Anil was 12 so he soaked up every word and nodded his head in agreement. He watched his father for years and became much like his dad. One morning he woke up to pots and pans falling on the floor and loud wails and saw his mother on the floor with a black eye and his dad walking out the door. His mom whispered to him, "look wat yuh fadda do to meh.. doh be an old fool like yuh fadda eh.. when yuh get yuh woman doh beat she eh.. now son, pick me up and tell no one eh.."
Seeing his mom in that condition, brought tears to his eyes and he promised he would never be like his dad. When Anil turned 14, his attempts to protect his mom from his dad were futile since he ended up with a black eye. Around that time, he dated a Caucasian girl, Selena Rellick, who was a brunette with hazel eyes and medium length hair but their relationship lasted only for a year seeing that that her family migrated to the England. Selena's dad was hired as a managing director on the board of counsellors at Peach Tree  in England. Afterwards, Anil never heard from Selena which was heartbreaking. He was attracted to Caucasian and Indian women of brown complexion. Being with Selena was a dream come true but it was shortlived. When Anil turned 15, he dated a fair skinned Indian girl, Brianna Mohan, who broke his heart when he learnt that she kissed a taller Indian guy who was muscular and quite attractive. It turned out that she dated Anil because she felt sorry for him. After his second girlfriend he prayed to God for a miracle that a woman would fall in love with him and remain in his life for a long time.

At age 19, Anil's mother revealed that he was arranged to marry a pretty Indian girl, Sarah. This news excited Anil. He wondered if God finally answered his prayers. He knew that Indian women were his type.

When he stood at the altar and saw Sarah, his heart fluttered and he got a slight erection. He thought Sarah was the most gorgeous woman he ever laid eyes on. He hoped that Sarah would find him attractive, love him and stay with him for a long time. He knew she was way out of his league. Looking  closely at her, he saw the disgust in her eyes and the scorn on her face. From that time, he knew that he had to woo her into his loving arms.