Letters

*Cassie's Pov*

I looked up at Wendy as she stood there with her arms crossed and her eyebrows raised.

"What?" I asked her.

"What? Seriously? Why weren't you staying here?"

"Because it was boring."

"The neighbour called me. Heard shouting and things being broken. What did you do?"

"I got angry. The kitchen was like my own personal rage room."

"Why are you so angry? If it's that school thing, it's good for you to go."

"No. It's the fact that the people, who I thought were my family, told me how much they hated me."

"You said some things too."

"At least I didn't lie to you my whole life."

"What are you going on about?"

"I know they're dead."

"Stop making up stories in your head and just face the fact that they didn't want you. It will help you move in."

I walked over to my bag and pulled out the envelope before handing it to Wendy.

"Where did you get this?"

"That doesn't concern you."

"Yes it does. Someone probably made that up."

"I asked the firefighters in this picture what happened and they told me. So stop lying!" I shouted, which caused Steve to come out of the living room.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Take a look for yourself." I said as I pushed it against his chest and walked off to my room.

"Cassandra! We aren't done with this conversation!" Shouted Wendy.

"I am!" I shouted back as I walked into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me.

The next morning, Jay came to pick me up for school. He knocked on my door earlier than I had expected and waited for someone to answer it.

I heard the door being opened as I walked down the stairs.

"Detective Halstead, what are you doing here?" Asked Wendy with a big grin over her face.

"I wanted to talk to Steve and you."

"Of course. Steve, would you come down so we can talk?" Called Wendy.

Steve came down, patting me on the back as he walked past. He waited before going into the kitchen so he could hand me back the envelope.

"I was trying to protect you, sorry Cassie." He said with a small smile as he handed me the envelope.

"What's up, Mr Halstead?" Asked Steve as he poured himself some coffee.

"A few things. I'm going to drop Cassie to school so she isn't late on her first day. I had Cassie stay with me because she was a mess when we came to check on her after we got a call from the neighbour."

"A call would've been nice.

"Yes. I'm sorry. I should've."

"What's the last thing?"

"Two other things. Sorry. Cassie was in hospital for a couple of days after she ahd passed out for not eating. I was wondering if you guys could just keep an eye on her."

"Yes of course." Said Steve.

"And. If it is okay with you, I would like to adopt Cassie."

"I'm sorry?" Asked Wendy.