Chapter 23

😊
-

"Did you take my advice on telling Josie that you want some space from her?" Cami said as she took out her pen and notebook.

"Oh yeah..." Hope nodded slowly.

The blonde looked up at her patient and raised an eyebrow "I have a feeling that's not the truth."

Hope sighed and laid back in her chair "It's not... It's quite the opposite."

"Go on."

"I don't know why I just chicken out of telling her... and now she wants us to be friends which I don't even think I'm ready for but I couldn't say no..."

"And why is that?"

"Because if I say no I lose her again and... even if I can't have her in the way I want... at least she'll be my friend."

"Hope the whole point of me telling you to have your space away from Josie is so you could work on yourself and maybe eventually work your way into being friends with her if you felt comfortable with it."

"Yeah well, you should've been more clear with that part!"

"I thought I was clear."

"Well, obviously not" Hope sighed and covered her face. Cami jotted something down in her notebook before looking back up at her patient.

"I think you should take my advice and talk to Josie about keeping your distance, I do think it would do you some good Hope."

Hope sighed and nodded "you're right..."

When the auburnette got out of therapy she asked her Aunt to drop her off at a lake that was near her house which Freya agreed to.

When Hope got out of the car she made her way to the dock and sat down, taking out her phone where she texted Josie.

-

About twenty minutes later Hope saw Josie get out of a car and walk up to her. When she stepped foot onto the dock Hope looked up at her and gave the girl a small smile.

"Hey" Josie smiled and sat next to her.

"Hey."

"So what did you want to talk about?" Josie raised an eyebrow and looked at her.

Hope sighed and looked down, this conversation was going to be so difficult and she honestly didn't want to have it.

"I... uh..." the auburnette said a tear already falling out of the corner of her eye without her permission.

"Hey... what's wrong" Josie's eyebrows furrowed in concern as she reached up and wiped the tear from the girl's eye.

"I don't think we should be around each other."

"Wait what..."

"It's just not good for me, not right now at least... so I think we should stay away from each other..."

"I... I don't get it. Do you hate me... I thought we were going to be friends..."

"Dammit, Josie I love you! I can't be your friend, just being around you is hurting me and that's not good for me, I just keep going along with everything you say because I don't know how to say no to you."

Josie just sat there and stared at her before shaking her head and turning toward the lake.

"You don't think things have been hard for me too? you basically used me all summer that fuck me up you know."

"That is exactly why we need to stay away from each other! we aren't good around each other it feels I don't know toxic?"

"So what? we're just going to walk around ignoring each other's existence?"

"For now... yes... and maybe when we're older and grow up a bit we'll find each other again... after we work on ourselves."

The brunette bit her lip and wiped at her eyes which were now watery "okay" she nodded.

"Josie just understand something, I don't hate you okay?"

Josie nodded and looked up at Hope.

"Can I hug you?" the shorter girl asked and Josie nodded. Hope brought the girl in for a short hug before pulling back.

"I've got to go... my mom is expecting me home..." Josie said standing up "bye stranger..." the girl walked off.

Hope just sat there and watched as the girl drove away.

She did the right thing. Right?