Three

"Andy?" Patrick called as he walked into their shared apartment.

He had the best news! He was getting the chance to do an art showing. It was going to be open to the public where anyone could just come in and buy one of his many paintings. He'd wanted this for so long and now it was finally happening. Yeah, it wasn't going to be the most extravagant showing. And people won't be spending thousands of dollars on his paintings. But at least people would see it and know he had an actual talent.

He walked into their bedroom and found it  cleaner than he remembered leaving it. That was weird. Andy didn't usually clean up without him. Actually, Andy didn't really clean up at all. Patrick couldn't remember one time since they'd started dating in highschool, that Andy cleaned anything. Maybe he was in a special mood. Where the hell was he though?

Patrick opened the bathroom door and found it empty as well. That was weird. Andy should have been off of work by now. He glanced down at the watch on his wrist. It was almost six. And he didn't call or text to say that he wasn't going to be home until late. Patrick knew for a fact that the private gym closed at five-thirty. So he couldn't be a work.

Then sound of something hitting the floor filled the house. That was followed by the sound of someone cursing. Andy! Patrick rushed out of the room and into the living room area. And there stood the love of his life, holding onto his toe, hopping up and down on one foot. Mumbling the words,

"Shit. Shit. Shit!"

"Baby!" Patrick walked over and helped him sit down on the couch. He bend to knees and inspected the toe. It was red from whatever it hit, but that's it. No cuts or bruising. "Its okay. I told you about wearing sandals anyway. They're not protective."

"I like sandals." Andy muttered, standing up. Patrick stood too.

"I have great news!"

"Really?" Andy looked around. Uncomfortable. "Because I have some news too."

"You go first!" Patrick grabbed his hands excitedly.

Andy slipped his hands out of his gently and smiled weakly. "No. No. You go first!"

"Okay! I'm doing an art showing!"

"No way? Really?" Patrick nodded excitedly. "Patrick, that's so great!"

"I know. There's going to be music and food and people buying the paintings. I don't have that long to prepare, but I'm so excited. I told you it'd happen, Baby!"

"I'm really proud of you!" Andy pulled him into a tight hug before freezing and letting go.

"What's wrong, babe?" Patrick asked worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"Patrick, we need to talk."

"O-Okay."

"Sit down." Andy gestured towards the couch.

"No. That's fine. I want to stand-"

"Sit down, Patrick." He said sterner.

Patrick sat down on the couch. Andy sat beside him. Not as close as he usually would have. He looked nervous. That was new. Andy was never nervous. Patrick placed his hand on his knee to calm him down but Andy gently removed it. Placing Patrick's hand back in his own lap.

"What's going on, Andy?"

"Patrick, this isn't working."

"What?" He could feel an anchor in his stomach. Attaching itself to his heart and threatening to pull it down. "What's not working? What are you talking about?" His breaths were speeding up. Making him feel light headed.

"Patrick, baby, breath." Andy touched his cheek. Patrick took a deep breath and nodded. "Good."

"Andy what are you saying?"

"We need to take a break." Patrick's eyes widened. Andy held up a hand in surrender. "Nothing permanent. Its just, we've been together since freshman year."

"Because we're soulmates." Patrick interrupted. "High school sweethearts."

"Exactly. If we're going to be together forever, we're going to need a little break from each other. Some time to experiment and test the waters. To make sure this is what we want-"

"Didn't you get enough of experimenting in college? When you cheated on me so many fucking times?" Patrick snapped. "I thought we were over that stage."

"Don't go there, Patrick. Because you cheated too. Don't forget about Ms. Yao!"

"Oh you're really going to bring that one up? I was eighteen! I was vulnerable. You'd just had a threesome in our room!"

"You made out with our Western Cultures teacher! She was 40! She had kids!"

"I made one mistake! You've made like 50 worst ones!"

"Listen!" He exhaled loudly. "I'm leaving. We need a break. To figure ourselves out."

"Andy, please-"

"Look, I said it's nothing permanent." Andy stood up. Patrick didn't move. "I've already taken all of my stuff out. And congrats on your gallery, Pat." He leaned down and kissed his forehead.

Patrick watched Andy walk out of the front door with tears in his eyes. This didn't feel like the other times they'd broken up. This was different. It hurt more. Andy had packed this things. He was gone. Patrick's heart began to crack. He could feel it happening. The tears began flowing like a river. He shouldn't be alone in this state. He didn't do too well on his own. Through his burry, teared vision, he pulled out his phone. Touching one button for speed dial.

"You've reached Joe. Kidding! I'm ignoring you. Leave me a fucking message. I'm very lonely." Beep.

"Joe." Patrick cried into the phone. "It's me. Please call back, it's important. Andy l-left me."

He hung up the phone and dialed another number. This time it rung a few times before an answer came.

"Hey, Pattywack!"

"Brendon?" He choked out.

"I'm on my way."