Thirty Five

Today was the day. Patrick was going to do a fucking art show! Hopefully the first of many.

He was sitting in a chair in his room while Brendon worked on his hair and Ryan ruffled through his closet for an outfit.

Pete wasn't in here. He wasn't even sure if Pete was home. Ever since they'd come from the beach, he'd been acting weird. Patrick tried to bring up the conversation they were having before Andy called and Pete just brushed it off.

Now its been almost two days since Pete admitted he might actually like Patrick. And Patrick was freaking out because it seemed that ever since he admitted it, he hated Patrick. They didn't even hold hands yesterday.

"Do you want to go for the stereotypical gay painter look?" Ryan asked from the closet. "Or do you want something more original?"

"I don't want to look like some gay stereotype with the pencil mustache and silk scarf."

"Okay. So original."

"I wish you'd let me dye your hair again." Brendon sighed as he ran his fingers through his best friend's hair.

"No. Being blonde once is enough for me."

"But blondes have more fun." Brendon pouted.

"But you're not blonde. And you have more fun than anyone I've ever met."

"That's because I'm a slut, sweetie." Brendon patted his head gently.

Ryan laughed. "Of course."

"Speaking of Pete." Brendon muttered.

"Who was speaking of Pete?" Ryan frowned.

"Well since you brought him up. Are you and Pete having relationship problems, Patrick?"

"What? No. Why would you ask that?"

"He just seems a little... Off."

"It's some business issues." Ryan lied and then quickly changed the subject. "Do you wear shorts?"

"No."

"Why doesn't he just wear a suit? Like one of Pete's." Brendon suggested.

"That's actually brilliant." Ryan clapped. "I'll be right back."

He speed walked out of the room. He just needed to see what color suit Pete was going to wear tonight. The paparazzi would go crazy if the two wore matching outfits.

He opened Pete's room door without knocking. Pete was standing in front of his mirror adjusting his tie. In his classic black suit.

"Knock, Ryan." Pete scolded.

"Haha." Ryan walked fully into the room. "You look great."

"You look," Pete glanced at him in the mirror. "Not ready? Ryan, his showing starts in about forty minutes."

"I've been trying to dress Patrick. Speaking of him..." Ryan trailed off innocently.

"Don't." Pete held up a hand to stop him from continuing. "I'm not in the mood."

"What's up with you? You told me you liked him and than a few minutes later you were avoiding him more than you avoid commitment."

"Haha." Pete said dryly.

"Did liking a guy finally freak you out?"

"No." Pete brushed his hair back. He needed a haircut.

"Then what-"

"I heard him on the phone telling Andy how much he loved him."

"What?!"

Ryan nearly screamed. There had to be some kind of mistake. Patrick told him he liked Pete. Patrick and Pete liked each other. Andy was in the past. Andy was an asshole. Andy betrayed Patrick in the worse type of way. Patrick did not love Andy. Patrick should love Pete!

"I'm not repeating myself, Ry." Pete continued adjusting his already perfect tie. "I'm not in the business of wasting my time with someone who's in love with someone else."

"You're not in the business of love. Period."

"Don't you try to flip this all on me. I was going to give the kid a real chance. He chose his ex."

"But-But-"

"Go get ready. We don't want to be late." His tome was hard. Final.

Ryan had no choice but to do as Pete said. He couldn't argue on Patrick's behalf. Especially since he didn't know the full story.

He could feel himself becoming agitated with Patrick. With each step he took, he was becoming even more annoyed.

What the hell kind of game was Patrick playing with his best friend? He'd told Ryan that he liked Pete. And Ryan told Pete. And then Pete let his guard down and liked Patrick back. But now Patrick loved Andy? This was too much drama. Even for Ryan.

He stormed into Patrick's room. Guns blazing.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" He shouted at Patrick.

"What?" Patrick turned in his chair.

"Watch it, Ross" Brendon warned.

"Why would you let Pete hear you say that you still love Andy?"

"I didn't-" Patrick stopped to rack his brain. Shit. "He heard that?"

"You said that?" Brendon frowned.

"I, no. Well yes. It's not what you think." He stood up to face Ryan. "I promise it's not what you think."

"I think my best friend let his guard down and you fucked him over."

"Hey!" Brendon interjected. "If he says it's not what you think, then it's not what you think!"

"Pete heard him say the words! How can it not be what I think?" Ryan placed his hands on his hips. "If you loved your ex why'd you tell me what you told me?"

"I'm not in love with Andy!" Patrick snapped. He was tired of trying to explain himself to someone who didn't want to listen. "I'm in love with Pete!"