Forty Three

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday you little slutty bitch. Happy birthday to you!"

Brendon sang the words as Patrick stood at the table in front of the large cake Pete ordered at the last minute.

Pete had no idea it was Patrick's birthday. That was until Brendon came bursting through the door in a zebra onsie, holding a bunch of balloons and a badly wrapped gift.

So of course Pete decided order a three layered cake for the occasion. And now Pete, Ryan, Patrick and Brendon were all standing in the dining room wearing animal onsies.

At first, Pete had to sadly inform Brendon that he didn't own an animal onsie. But of course Brendon had plenty to go around. He was a zebra. Patrick was a bunny. Ryan was a giraffe. And Pete was a lion.

"Yay!" Ryan clapped his hands together happily. "Blow out our candles!"

"But don't forget to make a wish!" Brendon added.

Patrick closed his eyes and blew out the candles. The other three men clapped and cheered their approval.

"How does it feel to be twenty five?" Ryan asked.

"Feels just like twenty four." Patrick shrugged.

"Ah, he hasn't reached the bad side of twenty five yet." Brendon lifted his glass and took a sip.

"The what?" Patrick laughed.

"The bad side of twenty five." Ryan repeated. "When all the good old boys are playing bad new songs. On the country station while the city moves on."

"When you mix two parts jack with two bloodshot eyes. And you still feel cheated when your buzz subsides." Pete added.

"When your age degrades into a well worn lie. And all the cute boys look eighteen between you and I." Brendon smirked.

"You guys are idiots." Patrick smiled and turned to Pete. "And my cute boy doesn't look eighteen at all."

Pete lowered his eyebrows and pursed his lips. "Am I offended or complimented?"

"Complimented." Patrick said quickly.

"Then thank you." Pete kissed Patrick quickly.

"You guys are so cute that I want to barf."

"I want to barf looking at your lip." Brendon frowned at Pete's split lip.

"At least the swelling went down."

Pete pouted and tried to see his lip but his nose was in the way. He used his fingers to pull his lip outward. It didn't look that bad.

"Did someone beat you up or something?" Brendon asked.

"No." Was all Pete said. Patrick blushed.

"It happened last night." Ryan coughed the words. And then cleared his throat.

"What?" Brendon stared at them in confusion before understanding dawned. "Patrick did that?"

"No." Pete lied.

"I heard them." Ryan said proudly.

"Patrick's a screamer just like I said, isn't he?"

"Loud as hell." Ryan nodded.

"And Pete?"

"That's enough!" Pete interrupted. "I think it's gift giving time."

"How do you have a gift?" Brendon raised a brow. "You found out about his birthday a few hours ago."