9 - Hickey

* that night when she got home *

Warning: Sensitive scene ahead

I thank Frannie for giving me a ride back to my house. I also thank her for wiping my tears, and getting me out of that party as soon as I asked.

The door creaks when I open it. It's dark in here, which makes me assume Momma hasn't come back yet.

But I'm wrong.

She's laying on the couch, her leg hanging off the edge, a beer can still in her hand. She's sleeping, thank the Lord. Only one red stiletto shoe is on her foot.

When did she get home? If she saw that I wasn't here when she returned, she will kill me. Especially because it's almost three in the morning.

I tip-toe through the house, scared to breathe. That's when I trip over the other discarded red stiletto. It's not loud, fortunately, but it causes me to drop my phone. That is loud.

My mom stirs on the couch.

"Athalia?" She slurs, perking up. Even in the dark, I note that her eyes are rimmed with purple circles from lack of sleep, and her hair is all messy.

"It's me, momma," I say softly. She's drunk, but she's tired. Maybe it'll be okay.

I walk over to her, cringing at her condition. The only thing I can smell is alcohol. Her clothes are dirty, like she hasn't changed out of them in days--which she probably hasn't. I want to ask her where she went, but I know I won't get an answer.

She blinks at me, silent for about ten seconds. "Where've you been?"

I can't tell her where I was. She'd kill me. But I also can't lie. She'd kill me then, too.

Deciding to go with the lie, hoping she's not able to sense it, I tell her, "I stayed late at a friend's house."

"This late?" She questions. Her eyes squint at me. I realize she's not looking at me, she's looking directly at my neck. "What the fuck is that, Athalia Parker?"

Curse Levi Kingston.

Yes, I figured out his last name. I had Frannie ask around for it, and it didn't take long at all for her to find it out.

My mom abruptly stands, and I flinch away, but she doesn't come towards me. She walks over to the light switch and flicks it on. My eyes strain at the sudden brightness. I refrain from covering my neck.

"You fucking slut," she hisses, pointing at the hickey Levi so kindly gave me before he told me I was a mistake. "You were out whoring around while I was here waiting for you!?"

"I-I didn't know, momma—"

"Don't fucking lie to me, Athalia Parker." She makes her way to me, and I back away. I go as far away from her I can until my back hits the wall, and I'm trapped. "Your father would be so disappointed to have a slut as a daughter."