12 - Movie

"Hun, I need ya to close tonight," Big D tells me, wiping his hands on his long white apron

"Hun, I need ya to close tonight," Big D tells me, wiping his hands on his long white apron. "Blake's off in an hour, otherwise I'd ask him to."

Placing a cherry on the whipped cream of a smoothie, I tilt my head at him. "When was the last time you closed, buddy boy?"

He gives me a pointed look. "Yesterday, the day before, the day before that—"

"Okay, okay," I stop him, giggling. "I gotcho back Big D."

"No Heavy Duty's."

I nod. "Make all the Heavy Duty's I can."

"Athalia Quinn," he warns playfully.

I laugh, tapping his shoulder twice when I pass. "Don't worry, dude, I'll clean up after myself."

He shakes his head. Before he disappears into his office, he questions quietly to himself, "What the hell's a dude?"

Since there's only three people here, a big difference from the rush hour two days ago, I let myself take orders.

The table I just served a strawberry shake to (Table Two) asks for three waters and a basket of fries. "You got it!" I exclaim.

Back behind the bar, I fill three glasses with water after requesting a basket of fries from
the cooks.

The table didn't ask for ice, but of course I have to add some. Nobody likes lukewarm water, and if you do, you're a devil.

I apologize for comparing you to the devil. But you are.

I grab the basket of fries from the ledge, and hurry over to Table Two. "Here you are," I put forth while setting their things down. "Can I get anything else for ya?"

"We'll take the check, please," one says kindly.

"Okie dokie. I'll get that to you in just a moment."

"Thank you."

Oh, how I love nice customers! This family is nothing like the Karen's I served two days ago during rush hour.

Y'know what these folks said when they asked for bubbly waters and I'd told them we didn't have any?

'No worries, tap water is fine.'

How great is that! No argument, no "check the back", no female-dog fits!

But I don't understand why people keep asking for sparkling water. We've never had that on the menu.

I bring them their check and take their dishes. There's around 5 fries left.

I'm not supposed to.

I could get fired.

They could've been spit out.

But they're delicious.

I shove a couple fries in my mouth before anyone notices, chewing quickly. Yum.