18 - Goosologist

"I got a question, brotha," Athalia pops the sucker out of her mouth, turning her gaze from the window to me, driving us away from her little diner

She'd been going on about the damn suckers there, describing each fuckin' flavor like it was a competition. So I drove her there to get some.

Obviously.

The diner was locked up, since it was nearly past three in the fucking morning. So I broke us in.

Obviously.

She got her damn suckers, I got to see that damn smile. Fuckin' win-win.

But then she claimed she was experiencing post-crime sadness and didn't let herself eat the blue raspberry sucker for a period of five minutes in consequence.

That lasted two minutes before she said 'Screw it' and tore the wrapper off.

"Yeah?" It fucking pains me that she's forcing me to watch the road instead of her, which, according to her, I've apparently failed at too many times.

"Why are goosebumps called goosebumps?"

I glance at her for a second before returning my attention to the road, shrugging. "You tell me."

She takes the sucker out of her mouth to bite the inside of her cheek, evidently deep in thought. 

Half a minute later, she's got an answer. How do I know? 'Cause she scares the shit outta me by exclaiming, "Ah ha!"

She proceeds to tell me like she's some fuckin' smart ass, "So, there's actually little, tiny, tiny gooses under our skin and when we get cold, they think that winter has arrived and that it's time to fly south so they try to break free. Hence the bumps, which are their beaks trying to get out." 

Why the hell does that fuckin' make sense? 

I give her a look.

"Thank you, I know," she congratulates herself. "Call me a goosologist."

"A damn goosologist would know that 'gooses' is not a word," I counter. "It's geese."

She snorts, placing the blue sucker back on her tongue. "Potato, potahto."

"Let's do something fun!" She chirps, sittin' up and lookin' out the window.

My eyebrows lift. "You're not having fun?"

"No, I am," she says, turning to me. "But let's have more fun."

Fuck her stupid ass rule, I look at her. I can't keep the smirk off my face. "Like what?"

"Likeee," she drags the word out. "Oo! We could...what time is it?"

"Four-oh-one."

"Wrong."