A New World

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS WHOLLY PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF FOUND ON ANY OTHER SITE, IT IS STOLEN CONTENT (I'm looking at you, Teenfic). IF FOUND ON ANY OTHER SITE, PLEASE REPORT IT TO ME EITHER BY MESSAGE BOARD OR DIRECT MESSAGES

A man paced back and forth anxiously, a cold sweat forming on his brow. He had only been waiting for five minutes, but when you were waiting for a summon that could very possibly get you killed, it felt like a lifetime.

"The CEO is ready for you now." A calm, robotic, female voice said from the loudspeaker, and the door hissed open. The man took a deep breath, and stepped in.

He swiftly, but cautiously, walked across the vast room. The path was illuminated by a trail of lights, but everything outside of it was bathed in shadows. He kneeled at the end of the path, sweat dampening his brow.

"...Are they ready for experiment HCS8?" A deep voice said from the darkness. The man gulped, and stood.

"Yes, sir. They're prepared to drop as soon as you give the order." The man said.

"Good. Drop at will." The voice said, and the man nodded. He turned to leave.

"There were two new subjects, correct?" The voice asked.

"Yes, two girls. Pearl and Gemini. They're both about eighteen, with a little bit of previous experience in other Trials" The man said.

"Hm. The victor of the Double Life Trials and the Wizard from the Empires Trials, correct?" The voice asked, and the man nodded in the affirmative.

"This should prove interesting. Dismissed." The voice said, and the man left, relieved he was still breathing. Sighing, he went to deploy the Hermits into their 8th experiment. He paused at the pods of the newbies. He put his hands on the glass

I'm sorry you're getting sucked into all this. But one day this company is gonna get burned to the ground, and you'll be free." He whispered, and pushed them into place.

Round 8 of the Hermit Trials had begun.

. . .

I jerked awake to the sound of shouting. Through my sleepy mind fog, all I could process was, 'No! It's supposed to be over!" followed by more terrified and slightly angry yelling, alongside panicked running.

I shook my head in an effort to clear it, assessing the situation. I seemed to be lying on my back in a little natural trench, with light snowfall. It tickled my nose.

Someone suddenly skidded to a stop above us.

"Wait! In this cave! Two newbies!" A British voice came. More footfalls, then there were about twenty or so eyes aimed directly at me.

The strangest group stood there, looking down at me, almost all of them looking worried and anxious.

Panic seized me, my hand automatically going for something on my hip. But I found nothing.

"What's... what's going on?" A groggy, female voice to my right came, making me flinch. Had she been there the whole time?

The group just looked at each other. One in a dress suit with a giant, jet black mustache that kinda looked like a big, hairy caterpillar leaned down.

"What do you remember before this, you two? What're your name's?" He asked, voice holding a heavy British accent.

I frowned. All I could remember was my name.

"Pearl. And... I don't remember anything." I said, panic rising up. The British guy nodded, and looked at the girl next to me.

"And you?" He asked her. She wore jean overalls, a green t shirt, and a flower headband around flowing, ginger hair, and a pretty, startled face to go along with it all.