Celebration & Secrets

I eagerly waited for Grian, Mumbo, and Scar to wake up. The elves had administered the cure a few hours earlier, and color was already returning to their faces. I was pacing the room, anxious, when Grian suddenly jerked awake with a shout. I sighed in relief.

"The cure worked." I said, relived as the doctor walked in.

"Good morning, Grian. My name is Aegnor of Rivendell. I was the lead healer for you and your friends... state over the past few weeks. Grian looked up groggily.

"Ughhhhh... What happened?" He asked.

"Someone poisoned the beers. It was deadlier the more you drank. I only got a stomachache for a few days while you three have been bedridden the past two weeks." I said as Mumbo groaned and sat up.

"Morning, sunshine." I said, and explained the situation. Mumbo groaned again, gripping his forehead.

"My head feels like a bunch of zombies got high and started dancing on my bloody brain." He said, and Aegnor chuckled.

"That should only last a few moments." He said. Mumbo squinted at him

"What are you, a bloody Elf?" He asked, and Aegnor recoiled.

"I don't know how you managed to make the name of my people sound like an insult." He said sharply as Scar woke up. Aegnor winced, and turned to him as he was trying to get up.

"Scar. I have bad news for you." He said as Scar struggled to sit up. His legs weren't moving.

"The poison had an odd effect on your body. Nothing below your waist follows your brain." He said. Scar looked at him.

"So that means..." he trailed off. Aegnor nodded sadly.

"You're permanently paralyzed from the waist down. I'm sorry." He said, pulling a red and green wheelchair from the cupboard.

"No. Nononono. I can walk." Scar said, straining to move. But nothing. Not even a twitch.

"I'm sorry."

"No!" Scar bellowed with more agony than I had thought possible as he collapsed backwards, body heaving. Mumbo glared at him.

"I think you've done enough damage for today." He growled. Aegnor bowed slightly, and stepped outside. Grian stood shakily, and sat at the foot of his bed.

"How am I gonna drive the Swaggon? Or build? Or-" Scar moaned, but Grian cut him off.

"We'll find a way. We're Hermits. We always do." Grian said softly, rubbing his shoulder. Jelly hopped up, meowing mournfully. She cuddled up on his chest, and Scar hugged her, tears streaming down his face. I stood, numb. I remembered how energetic Scar was. Barely could sit for more than five minutes, and almost never walked anywhere. He had always carried a bright, innocent air everywhere he went, and could make a horrible day amazing just by spending a few minutes with you. I could barely even imagine him spending the rest of his life in that chair.

After a moment he composed himself, sucking in ragged breaths.

"Well, I suppose I gotta get in the chair." He said hollowly. Grian nodded, reaching under one of his shoulders. I rushed over and grabbed his other. Straining, we managed to pull him up and set him into the wheelchair. Jelly hopped onto his lap, purring. Scar smiled slightly at that, petting behind her ears. Grian grabbed the handles and started wheeling him outside. People watched closely as we passed, concern warping their faces. Ren walked up to us, his wide grin slipping when he saw the situation. Mumbos brows furrowed when he saw him.

"Ren." He said flatly. Ren nodded to him, and turned to me.

"Can we talk?" He asked. I nodded, and he led me a bit away.