The Atlas

The next two months passed in a blur. My boat wasn't really an upside down boat anymore, because I had put floors, doors, windows, and other things to help it feel like home. And it did. For the first time, I felt at home. Grian finished his base, which was absolutely beautiful. Scar built some trailers for the Swaggon, using it to set up a traveling shop he had dubbed Swaggon Inc. Grian and Scar had started working on a railroad for him to ship bigger orders around. The newbies had settled in surprisingly well, even building their own houses. They had all found their passion and made it their job.

Our new government was run by Boatem Inc. with Scott, Sausage, and Jimmy as senators. Mumbo was quickly elected Mayor of all of Boatem Valley. They had each opened their shops officially: Swaggon Co., Grians G-Train, and Mumbos Harmless Harvests. I never had the time to open mine. I had built it (A little tugboat right in front of my base), but I had no idea what I was going to sell, or even what to call it. I was too focused on the Layout Design.

I sat at my table, making the blueprint for more buildings people had asked for. My eyes burned. I hadn't slept the past two nights, and felt like I was going to pass out. Sighing, I leaned back and stretched.

"Pearl? You home?" Grians voice came as he knocked quickly.

"Yeah! Come in!" I yelled, not looking back. The door creaked, and Grian was by me.

"Geez, Pearl. When was the last time you slept?" He asked.

"Tuesday." I responded, continuing work on the blueprint.

"When was the last time you took a break?" Grian asked, concerned. I thought a moment.

"I haven't since we started Boatem Inc." I said. Grian groaned.

"Pearl! Dammit... alright, time for a break." He said. I shook my head.

"Can't." I said. He sighed, exasperated. He yanked the pen out of my hand.

"Hey!" I yelled, turning to him. He slipped it in his pocket.

"I'll give this back once you take a few days off. Ok? Ok, come with me." Grian said, turning on his heel. I grumbled, and stood. He pointed at my room.

"Go to sleep." He ordered. I flipped him off, and hesitantly laid down.

"I'll be back when you wake up." He said, turning the light off. I nodded tiredly, and was immediately asleep.

. . .

I woke who knows how long later, feeling really rested. I went to my desk, and grumbled when I remembered Grian had taken my only writing utensil. I slipped my hoodie and combat boots back on and went to go find Grian.

Walking through Boatem, I felt a massive surge of pride at how quickly it had come together into a fully functioning community. It was alive with the sound of bustling crowds, laughter, music, and machinery clunking along. People waved as I walked by, massive smiles on their faces. I waved back, unable to not smile. I had already fallen in love with this place.

"Ah, the dead live! Pearl!" I heard Grian yell. I waved, jogging up to him.

"How long was I out?" I asked. He looked at his watch.

"Bout 16 hours. You ready to head out?" He asked.

"Yup! What's the plan?" I asked. He smiled slyly.

"Wanna go mess with Mumbo?" He asked mischievously. I smiled slightly.

"Oh yeah. What do you have in mind?" I asked. He held up an avocado.

"Yell grenade and throw this at him while he's working." He said, and I laughed.