Impossible Odds

I couldn't breath.

Everything was coated in ash.

There was no escape from the ash or earthquakes. I couldn't see the moon, but I knew how close it was. We less than a week. At most.

I fell to my knees, looking over the ruins of our home. All that was left were ruins. The once happy, gurgling stream was replaced by a menacing, slow river of lava. Somehow the only thing that still stood was the Boatem Pole, although split in half. Our home, our pride an joy. Gone. And all I felt was hollowness.

Mumbo put his hand on my shoulder.

"It's ok, Pearl. At least ten of survived. Not everyone is gone" He said dully, voice muffled and not even believing it himself.

I stood, brushing the dust off my knees. I turned to him.

"What are we gonna do..." I said softly. He suddenly wrapped me in a hug.

"It's all gonna be ok. We still have a chance to survive this." He said. I nodded slightly, and we just stood there in silence for a moment.

"And to think just yesterday night we were dancing happily in the moonlight." I said. He nodded, letting me go.

"I need to find Grian. No point in the heist anymore." He sighed.

"We're up against impossible odds." I said, a sudden wave of anger hitting me.

"I'm gonna hunt the Assassin down. Avenge all the Hermits she killed." I hissed. He sucked in a breath.

"Pearl..."

"Don't try and stop me. I know what I need to do. Alone." I said.

"I was gonna say be careful. I know I can't talk you out of something once you put your mind to it." Mumbo said with a wry smile. I returned it, just a lot smaller.

I nodded to the remains of the Boatem people, and turned to walk away. I was going to kill Ghost.

Even if I died trying.

. . .
(Grian)

Bdubs and I were exhausted. We couldn't open our water flasks in the open, and there was no where to go. Boatem was still at least a days hike away.

I could see the mountain range on the horizon, and the sight made my heart stop.

The volcano was in Boatem.

"No!" I screamed, falling to my knees. Boatem was gone. My home and family. Gone.

"I'm gonna guess that we're headed right for the volcano." Bdubs said. I nodded.

"Not anymore. Boatems gone. You see that pillar of ash? Boatem is right at the base of that. We have no where to go." I said. I could practically hear his eyes go wide.

"We gotta find Xsumia." He said. I stood. "He should be able to get us shelter."

"You know where he is?" I asked. Bdubs nodded, pulling out a compass.

"No matter what happens, this compass will point to a lodestone around his neck. Me, Cleo, and Impulse all had one." He said, and I winced slightly.

"It wasn't your fault. Get that out of your head." Bdubs said.

"Of course is was. I ran. I got her killed." I said, following him.

"It wasn't your fault. It was The Watchers who did this. Not you, not Cleo, The Watchers. Alright?" He said. I nodded.

"Alright. Let's go find Xsumia."

.  .  .

About five hours later we were knocking on Xsumias door. I braced myself as the door swung open. He squinted at us.