Epilogue

I hated group assignments.

Fuck, I hated working in a team in the first place.

I didn't need them watching over me when doing my shit, so why were they all here? The advisor didn't need to be here, whatever Kakucho had going on could be going on some place other than my warehouse filled with bastards. And why did I have to see Mochi's dumb face? At this hour, shouldn't he be eating with his kids or something? They're probably the only ones happy to see him—that's not nice.

Shut up.

I looked around as we entered the warehouse, trying to find her. I didn't want to hear her right now, not on an assignment, not when I needed to be focused. What was she doing, appearing at the worst moments? From the corner of my eyes, I saw her behind a pillar and faced her rapidly, she vanished.

"You alright?" Koko asked me, a hand on my shoulder. I turned to him and laughed, pushing his hand away, nodding fervently as I pulled out my gun. "Yeah, absolutely buzzing. You all good too? Got your beauty sleep and all?" My playfulness didn't land as he rolled his eyes and walked away from me, joining Kakucho's side. Over the years of knowing him, I realized he did not like my humor much. Or perhaps he lacked some himself... the man wasn't known for making jokes, he was all too serious for my taste. To each their own, I guess. I shrugged and walked up to them, noticing the five people tied up on the floor.

Smiling, I looked at my phone and nudged Ran, "It's not even Christmas and they're all wrapped up so beautifully—all they're missing is a little bow!" I exclaimed joyfully. I did hear a soft chuckle coming from Rindou only for him to get elbowed by his brother; my grin fell as I threw a deadly look at Ran, my voice dropping a few tones, "Come on, Big Haitani, give us a smile. It's okay to laugh."

Ran gripped me by the collar, forcing me to stand on my toes as he looked at me fuming, making me grin widely as I taunted, "You could ask your brother for advice on how to not be a boring bitch. He'd know, he's my fan numero uno." I spelled out the latter part, then gripped his hand tight, forcing it open so he'd let go of me; he did so with pure anger as he pushed me aside and pulled Rindou with him, "She's a fucking maniac."

I let out a huff as I found my balance and dusted my shirt off for any wrinkles before calling out, "Now, that's hurtful, do you call your bitch a maniac too when she's just being hilarious?"

He looked over his shoulder with a wicked smile, ready to start a fight if it wasn't for Rindou holding him back, "Come on Rinrin, let him go. He needs to let off some steam! His girl probably too busy fucking other people and whatnot."

This time it wasn't Ran's turn to manhandle me but the chief himself, Mikey.

He walked up to me and punched me in the face, forcing me to the ground before pressing on my cheek with his foot, "Enough, Butcher." He spat, his voice just as emotionless as ever. When I heard Sanzu walk up to us with a sigh of annoyance, I grinned and pushed Mikey's foot off my face as I stood up, a bit dizzy. "Just cause you're off leash tonight doesn't mean you gotta bark at everything." Sanzu spat as he gripped me by the collar just like Ran did. I ran my tongue over my teeth and looked him straight in the eyes with a lazy smile as I listened, "Next time Mikey's gotta dirty his fucking hands on you, you're dead."

I slapped his hand off me, scoffing.

"Sheesh, Mad Dog, you got so much angrier since your girl OD'd. Come on, it's already been two months!"

His girl was your only friend. Don't ignore that.

She left me, everyone does. I don't care.

You tried to kill yourself.

I didn't, I just—I changed the sadness into pain, it's easier like that, don't tell me what to do.