n i n e

.09 | Saige
-Not edited-

"AND AN OREO CARAMEL milkshake for you dear?" Linda looks at me expectantly, and my mind goes crazy.

It sounds so good right now, the crunchy Oreo mixed with the saltiness of the caramel in a mind-blowing, tastebud melting combination.

But a combination that also has over five hundred calories.

That's way too many if I get a meal too. This place only has greasy, fried foods, which are enough calories in themselves. I can't get both, even though it sounds like heaven right now.

"Saige?" Dalton nudges my arm, nodding towards Linda, who's still patiently waiting for my order.

"Hey, this is a celebration lunch! Treat yourself girl, seriously. You deserve it." Emi winks at me from across the table, silently seeing the debate going through my mind.

Ash claps, a smile spreading across his face, "That's right! Our girl's cheer captain for her senior year!" The whole table whoops and the same smile bursts on my face. He's right. I did it.

I may have been gone for four years, but I made sure I never lost the skill I'd grown up working so hard for. Training and Dalton was the only thing keeping me going through those long years, and it's finally paid off. I got the boy and the captain band.

"Yes, an Oreo caramel milkshake and a salad for me." I finally answer Linda, proud of myself for getting the milkshake. I couldn't bring myself to get the burger and fries too, but eventually I'll taste that heavenly meal all together again.

Lilah smiles at me, the little gesture of encouragement lightening my mood even more.

Life doesn't get much better than this. Surrounded by people who care about me, Lilah, Emi, Ash, Lucas, Dalton... and Cas. Who for some reason fucking showed up to my celebration lunch.

I know he's still part of "the gang" and everyone else is cool with him, but every single time we're in the same room, everything is immediately less fun. Especially if Dalton is there, everyone's automatically pissed off at the fact the other is alive.

But, part of my therapy homework is not letting that bother me. So I've declared that Cas' inevitably bitchy mood will not ruin my day, and neither will the way Dalton acts about it either.

The milkshakes finally arrive, and we all toast, to me making captain, and to the fact that Lilah also made the team.

"I'll be like the biggest fan in the student section for sure, I just wish cheerleaders had numbers so I could wear them too. But I'll stick to rocking Ash's number in the bleachers." Emi exclaims, high-fiving Ash.

I roll my eyes laughing, "I'm sure Ash will love that, it's so cute."

"Everyone's going to think you're dating."

My head turns back towards Cas, who just spoke for the first time during this entire meal. "What?"

"It's like a rule. You wear someone's number, you're theirs. Untouchable to the rest of the team. Wearing a player's jersey is like the highest honor." He comments as if I should already know this, while Lucas and Ash nod along with him.