t h i r t e e n

.13 | saige
-not edited-

THE FIVE DAYS go by smoother than expected, considering the fact I was single for the first time in almost four years.

Well, technically.

I hadn't exactly outright spoken to Dalton at all since I ran from the party that night, but there's no way he didn't get the point through the countless attempts to evade him throughout the week.

Monday morning I'd ridden to school with everyone per usual, and they were all on top of their game, running interference through the hallways and making sure that I didn't cross paths with either Dalton or Kaitlynn and reach my locker safely.

Unfortunately, first period didn't have those luxuries, and I was forced to see Dalton and Kaitlynn's partnership in a new life, a partnership in more than one way if you will.

Fortunately, Cas had been given strict instructions by the girls and managed to keep my back to the table where they worked, and got us excused to the library as soon as possible.

Dalton tried to speak to me multiple times throughout the day, from in the hallway, lunchroom, or the multiple other classes we had together. It took nearly all of my self restraint to not hear him out, or to not scream at him in the middle of the B-wing hallway. But by Tuesday, I was practically a professional at diverting my eyes forward and walking past him, letting his words in one ear and out the other.

That's how the next four days went, until I safely made it to Friday night without having to utter a single word to either Dalton or Kaitlynn.

Cas wasn't exactly thrilled with the way our conversation ended on Sunday night, but never the less he kept his promises and dragged me to the grocery store after practice, dragging me through the isles and throwing food into the cart. He refused to let me pay - for any of it - although he justified it by claiming he'd chosen half the items just to have snacks he likes when he comes over.

He said his family was out of town, and so he'd come over every night after he showered and helped me to cook a meal for us both to eat, claiming that then neither of us would need to eat alone.

But tonight was Friday, and Cas's family had come home this morning. Even though he invited me for dinner, I didn't want to intrude on their reunion.

Which is how I found myself sitting on the couch, rewatching Grey's Anatomy for the umpteenth time while eating a bowl of leftovers from the night before.

It was the first contended silence I had in weeks, that was until a knock sounded my door.

"Dalton?" My voice comes out quieter than I meant it to, "Why are you here?"

He stands on my porch, looking as a mess as I've ever seen him, a handful of broken flowers in his hand.

"Saige." He swallows. "I'm sorry."

"You don't get to be sorry Dalton. Why are you even here, you've got Kaitlynn now. You can't have us both."

He shakes his head, walking past me into the house and turning to look at me. "I know I fucked up okay? I know that! Don't you think that's been made clear to me as you've given me the cold shoulder all week? Kaitlynn will barely speak to me because you've given her the reputation of homewrecker! I just, I just had a lot going on and you had your own stupid little problems and Kaitlynn was there when I needed her-"

The flowers, showing up on my doorstep, the gesture was sweet. If he'd remembered that I've hated roses since sixth grade, or if he'd bothered to wipe the lipstick off his neck, or maybe if he didn't reek like alcohol.

I sigh, "Dalton, stop talking please. You're drunk, so drunk that I'm not even going to tell you to go home because I'm scared to be the reason you're on the road like this." The tears threaten to overflow, and I swallow, holding them at bay.

"You don't get to make that choice Saige." He steps closer to me, and I back up until I hit the couch, "You don't get to make these decisions. I gave up so much shit to make it work with you, and you were so fucking ungrateful for all of it!" He tosses his hands up angrily, "Did you ever stop to think that maybe the rest of us have problems too? No, I know it's surprising, but the whole fucking world doesn't revolve around you and your little obsession with being skinny."

✩・✩・✩

[A/N]

word count: 915

short one, but I'm writing this at 2:40am when i have to be at work at 8am, but i was so excited to get started on this part of the story that i had to get this written!

something super exciting is coming in the next chapter, and i won't hint to what it is, but i'm going to start writing that chapter immediately so you guys don't have to wait too long hopefully.

also, please forgive any typos or errors in this, i was so half asleep writing this entire thing.

anyways, as always please comment all your thoughts, i absolutely love reading each one. and vote if there's a chapter you enjoy:)

don't forget to follow my booktok and bookstagram, @ lexxiee_writes

lexie kimmons