e i g h t e e n

.18 | saige
-not edited-

DEEP BREATHS, I remind myself, gripping the door handle. Deep, deep breaths and steady myself.

Lilah and Emi found me soon as I got inside, escorting me to my locker, and I shooshed Cas away, telling he wanted to follow too.

But he has his own friends, his own little clique. Sure, he's got us, but the girls told me how distant he was while I was gone, and how him being this involved in the friend group is entirely new to my arrival.

Well fuck me, I didn't deserve that much of a welcome home. He could've kept right on with his new life and things would probably be easier for everyone.

I've seen them in the hallways, some jocks off the football team and a group of cheerleaders that crowd him. They were a nice group of girls, I got to know them during tryouts.

Eyes followed me throughout the hallway, no doubt guessing where I was for the past week. Or what went down between Dalton and I.

Steeling myself I walk in the door, knowing what lay in front of me.

Absolute hell.

Dalton, Kaitlynn, and Cas, all in one room. Welcome to first period.

I took my hair down out of it's messy bun, using it to hide my face as I walk in the room. I wish the sweatshirt had a hood, but all the same I keep my head down, heading to the seat in the back of class.

The chatter dies down, reminding me that once again I disappeared from school, but it resumes quickly when I sit down and don't look up.

But like I said, it wouldn't be first period unless it was living hell.

"Look who it is! We all thought you'd disappeared for good again, like last time. Like maybe you tried again, and succeeded? One can hope can't they." She sighs, as if wishing I had succeeded.

"Mhm nice to see you too Kaitlynn."

"Aw little miss cheer captain seems down, what's wrong babe? Break up with your boyfriend?" She glances back towards Dalton, who's stare I avoid.

I steel my shaking hands, swallow down my emotions and meet her eyes, but she's not done.

"Kaitlynn, stop talking and go sit down. I don't have anything to say to you , just stop. Who's paying you to be a bitch?"

"Oh wait! She's not little miss cheer captain anymore is she... so depressed she gave up her spot. Now I got the boyfriend...the captain band... and everything she wishes she had. How's it feel?"

And bam. The blow I was waiting for. She just told the whole school in a matter of seconds that I'm so messed up I gave up my position as captain.

I hadn't told a soul, not even Lilah and Emi. But gossip travels so fast they'll know soon enough. She only knew because the spot went to her. I put in word for Lilah, but the coach has favorites.

Chatter over what Kaitlynn said starts up, the beginning of the train of gossip that'll head around school.

I stand up, grabbing my bag off the floor, and head towards the door. I came and made a presence, and that was enough for day one.