Chapter three

I wouldn't be very surprised if even after these seven years Jasper was the same kind of idiot as back then. Thankfully that shit didn't happen again. And if Jasper got any idea like that... I would make him regret it.

  "Rayne," someone called my name.

  Rising my head, I wiped my hands into the rag I had tucked behind my trouser belt. In my field of vision appeared a guy with braids who was all smiling and who was as always dressed up in one of his expensive suits. He definitely didn't seem like someone who would hang around here in the garage. Zayd Hasegawa. I didn't even know if I was friends with him or... in just a business kind of relationship.

  "How's it goin'?"

  I walked around a hovercar I was repairing until now and went to the entrance of the garage where that person was standing. Crossing my arms over my chest, I raised one eyebrow in a quiet question. Wondering what he wanted in here.

  "Yeah, just ignore my question," mumbled Zayd but then he decided to tell me the reason for his presence: "I'm going to a bar today and you know - I don't wanna be all alone in there."

  I tilted my head to the side, not believing the second part of his monologue. From what I knew, he had many friends, so it was kind of impossible for him to have no drink buddy. I doubted that every one of them would not have time on that exact same day.

  "Okay, that's not true. But are you going or not? You don't get such an opportunity every day," he said as he looked around. People like him really liked to point at all these differences between them and others. I shook my head:

  "I don't have clothes for that."

  That was true. I would like to go and have some fun. To a certain level. And some fancy bar? Why not, right? But I've never needed to have or even wear that kind of clothing so of course I have none for this opportunity.

  Zayd just laughed and shrugged: "That's not a big deal. We'll get you some."

  "I have work," I pointed out the obvious. I didn't have extra time for going around shops and looking for some fancy clothes. And I had no plan to be homeless by the next day. That would be really stupid. But he apparently had a different plan. How surprising.

  "You can take it as a gift," he shrugged casually.

  I frowned. I couldn't understand why he would want to buy me clothes as a gift. I've never liked these things. And my birthday wasn't even around so he didn't have any special reason. Just me keeping him company at a bar. Maybe he just wanted to spend some money. Well, of course he wanted to when he could afford it.

  With a few other objections I went back to work. We could argue till infinity about why should I let him or not let him buy me those clothes or why not to go and so on. So I just let that be and do what I did before.

  After that, I went to the front of hovercar and opened car hood. A few years ago, I called these as a cars because there were some similarities, however, these machines are touching floor or something under them only in the state of not moving.

  "Really?" mumbled Zayd while sounding upset. I rolled my eyes:

  "Then just let me have this done. Shinrin doesn't revolve around you."

  A laugh sounded from Zayd. But this one didn't sound very happy. I smiled over his reaction. Since Zayd distracted me from work, I kind of forgot where I was. But I obviously finished here a while ago. Everything was all right. So now I could move to the bottom where the problem probably was. The levitation was broken but often things were related to each other.