Chapter seven

A long day was approaching after a long dark night, the lamps and lights in the houses, which provided the light here for days, were soon supposed to be turned off again for a longer period of time. However, it wasn't central. Lighting was also found here during the day, but it was much less, well, except for the Underground.

  I was glad my next race was still while it was dark around. I thought it just was just better... everything - the vibe, the effect... and the mood. In the light from our star... it just wasn't the same. Or I was just more used to darker surroundings when I didn't live in the sky part of the city. That was quite possible.

  "Gonna win again?" Mali asked curiously. I raised my eyebrows in a question at her, while putting my arm around her shoulders:

  "Should I plan to lose?"

  Mali shook her head with a laugh: "No, it's just... don't you ever wanna give others a chance?"

  I shook my head with a chuckle and then looked around. There were a lot of people here, like any other race night. Loud music and the smell of food, drinks and... the race. As always, colored lights reflected on our faces. Yeah, home.

  "Where's your boyfriend?" I suddenly asked as I got the thought.

  Mali looked at the people around and her eyes landed on one of the food stalls: "He went to get us something to eat."

   I nodded in understanding. Arno evaporated, too, saying that he would be back in a moment, and left the two of us standing by the hovercar in which I was soon to participate in the race. So for now I had time to hang out somewhere around here, but I still ended up next to the hovercar I was leaning against at the moment.

  "You're still alive?" Jasper asked with a grin on his face.

  I raised the hand I had placed around Mali's shoulders and showed him my middle finger, to which the person, whom the quiet message was given, just chuckled and stuffed a mouthful of some food he had just brought into his mouth.

  After a while, Arno and Elias also came back, while they were having some kind of conversation in which they seemed to be very busy. It was nice to see us all here together so nicely. When Arno had time, which didn't happen very often. Although he sometimes complained about the races, he still seemed satisfied.

  Elias came up to us and I rolled my eyes to which I removed my hand from Mali's shoulders while looking away. I didn't need to witness the sugaring of these two lovebirds. Or any others. I would get diabetes from it for sure.

  I walked over to Arno and took a slice of some kind of fried thing from him. Maybe it was a potato or some other crisp. Whatever it was, caused Arno to give me an annoyed look to which I responded with a shrug as I shoved his food into my mouth.

  "Rayne!"

  I scoffed with a roll of my eyes, causing Arno to chuckle, to which I gave him a murderous glare before turning my gaze in Zayd's direction. I then raised my eyebrows at him.

  "How do you feel? Before tonight's race?"

  "Good?" I shrugged.

  At that moment, the annoying weirdo, who always commented on everything here, spoke up. With his awkward jokes, he got the attention of the people who were waiting for tonight's much-anticipated race to finally start.

  Firstly the voice of that annoying person began to be heard from the speakers, and in that case I decided to go and prepare for the starting line. With a nod to the others, I got into my racing piece, in which I flew the small distance to the start. It was quite nice to see how people were somewhat willing to get out of the way of all the competitors.