Chapter Six

Trigger warning!!!! The first half of this chapter contains abuse if you would like to skip that look for the sentence in bold. Also if you are in the US and are facing domestic abuse call 800-799-7233 or text STAR to 88788! Please be safe, no one deserves to be treated badly or hurt by their partners or parents for any reason! IT IS NOT YOU FAULT AND YOU DO NOT DESERVE IT!!!!!!

https://www.thehotline.org/

As the sun set over the Blackwater bay Elowen stood alone in her chambers. No doubt her husband was off gambling or sleeping with some whore on the streets of silk. The betrayal had long since stopped stinging, now it was nothing more than a dull ache. She had once dreamed of a happy marriage and smiling children, to be loved to no end. But Elowen had given up on that dream years ago, she was doomed to an unhappy marriage and a cruel husband. Forsaken by the Mother Above, cursed to never bring life into the world.

The door being thrown open startled Elowen, flinching as she turned to face the doorway. Richard stumbled into the room, his overcoat was left unbuttoned and she could see his linen undershirt was still stained from this morning.

Elowen waited with baited breath as Richard moved further into the room. Her muscles tensed ready to flee and her eyes remained trained on her drunkard husband, waiting for any sign of how the night might go.

As if finally realizing he wasn't alone his cold, dark eyes locked onto Elowen's shaking form. A twisted grin pulled at his lips as his feet carried him towards her.

"My wife," Richard greeted, as his bony hand clapped down on her shoulder. His thumb rubbed against the skin exposed by her nightgown's neckline in a mockery of a loving caress. "Such a beauty, huh? My beautiful wife."

"Thank you." Elowen whispered, lowering her gaze from his eyes to the dark green stain on his shirt.

A loud crack was heard in the room as a burning pain spread through Elowen's cheek, she didn't even have a moment to be shocked as bony fingers dug into her hair at the back of her head forcing her to look back at him.

"Look at me when I am speaking to you!" Richard yelled. This close Elowen could smell the wine on his breath as he spoke. "Such a pretty face but you are utterly worthless and broken. What good are you?"

Richard threw her to the floor, looming over her crumpled figure.

"I asked you a fucking question!"

"Nothing." The word fell from Elowen's lips like a plea. "I'm useless."

"Can't give me an heir." Richard kicked at her stomach.

"Can't even do your wifely duties properly." His boot landed on her shoulder, aggravating the injury she had sustained while Aemma died.

"Useless cunt." As she attempted to curl in on herself in an effort to protect herself the heel of his boot struck her forehead along her hairline. Black dots swam in her vision as her husband continued to spew vitriol at her. "I have to go to the fucking brothel and pay to be satisfied."

His hand gripped her hair at the base of her neck pulling her into a kneeling position. "And now the Queen is dead and you've lost any use I had for you."

Elowen's knees burned as Richard began to pull her towards the door, struggling to keep up with him. Her hands clawed at his wrists trying to loosen his grip.

"Please. Please don't." Elowen begged tears streaming down her cheeks as she neared the door. "Please! I promise I'll be good! Please!"

Without even looking at her, Richard yanked the door open and threw Elowen into the hall. Not even bothering to watch as she landed on the cold stone and slamming the door behind him. Elowen scrambled to her feet, hitting the door in an effort to find her way back inside.

A cold chill began to seep into Elowen's bones the longer she was left in the hall. Wrapping her arms tightly around herself, Elowen turned to the hall. She had nowhere to go, no safe place to tend to her wounds. Without a thought her feet began to carry her through the halls until she found herself in front of a familiar door.

The door opened with a creak as Elowen pushed into the chamber. The room was dark with only the light seeping in from the hall and the moonlight shining through the window allowing Elowen to see. The furniture had been covered with sheets giving the room an eerie feeling.

Aemma's apartments had been filled with light and warmth only two days ago, now they were as silent and cold as the queens they had once housed. Flames had once danced on the wicks of candles scattered around the room, chasing away the shadows cast by the fire burning in her hearth and now were left to gather dust. The large window that overlooked the royal gardens was now painted an inky black. No more would the sun's golden rays fill the room, dancing across Aemma's smiling face.

Perhaps Richard was right, she had no use anymore.

"Elowen?" The sound of her name startled Elowen as she turned to face whoever had joined her. Viserys stood in the doorway, lingering on the edge of the room as if he couldn't bring himself to enter. "Are you alright?"

As if he had spoken the magic words the floodgates opened and tears streamed down Elowen's cheeks and apologies fell from her lips. Spurred on by the woman's tears, Viserys finally found the courage to enter the chambers. His warm hands clasped Elowen's upper arms, gently rubbing at the flesh in an effort to comfort her.

"I didn't mean to upset you."

"It's not your fault." Elowen choked out through the tears.

"I can't help but feel to blame when a Lady bursts into tears at the sound of my voice. I might need to call on Mellos for my wounded ego."

Elowen chuckled at this, smiling up at the King. "Do not fret, Your Grace, I find your voice soothing. I merely miss Aemma that is all."

"I do as well." Viserys glanced around the apartments before turning back to Elowen, finally realizing the state of her dress. He quickly shed his own dressing gown and wrapped the red fabric around Elowen's shoulders. "Come to my chambers, it is much warmer there."

Elowen nodded, not trusting her voice as fresh tears continued to roll down her cheeks.

The King's chambers were warmer than she remembered, little pieces of Viserys were scattered throughout the room making it feel well lived in. Viserys lead Elowen to the chaise in the corner of the room, making sure she was comfortable before turning to a nearby table and pouring two goblets of wine. He pressed one goblet into Elowen's hand before sitting beside her. No words passed between the two, both completely at ease in the other's presence.