Chapter Eight

Three days had passed since the last time Elowen had spoken with the King, and though she had begun to miss his presence it had been the most peaceful time of her life since she could remember. The morning after he had found her in Aemma's chambers wearing nothing but her nightgown, the King had secured an empty chamber for her to stay in, Although it was smaller than the one she shared with her husband, Elowen had never loved a space more. And with a castle guard permanently stationed nearby she was able to sink into the feeling of being safe.

Elowen knew there were whispers about her newfound relationship with the King, Ingrid and Gretchel supplied her with the newest gossip over a shared meal. Which was a regular occurrence now, though Ingrid still argued before taking her seat across the table from Elowen. She was forever grateful for the changes the King had incited.

Now for the first time since Aemma's death Elowen walked through the Royal Gardens, reminiscing over moments she had shared with her dearest cousin. The King walked beside her with his hands clasped tightly behind his back, eagerly listening to Elowen's shared memories.

As the pair neared one of the ponds scattered throughout the gardens, Elowen came to a stop. She smiled as a mother duck swam by followed by her little ducklings.

"I doubt you remember this since it was so long ago," Elowen began turning to face the King, her hazel eyes twinkling in the sun's golden rays. "But the day Aemma and I arrived the Good Queen Alysanne forced you to escort Aemma through the gardens. Naturally I followed behind as her lady-in-waiting but-"

Viserys eyes gleamed in recognition as his lips pulled into a large smile. "Yes! We had been speaking about Seven knows what when we heard a loud splash and you had fallen into the pond."

Elowen's bell like laughter melted with Viserys's hearty chuckle. "Yes, yes. Queen Alysanne was so shocked when she saw me wandering the halls drenched from head to toe."

"I would have offered to help if you hadn't of run away."

"I was utterly humiliated," Elowen defended herself. "If my father had learned I had so thoroughly embarrassed myself in front of a Prince he would have disowned me."

"How even did you fall in? The path is a good distance from the pond's edge."

Elowen's cheek tinted a rosy pink as she ducked her chin and muttered something.

"I didn't catch that." Viserys prodded.

"Dr wz a be."Elowen muttered.

"I still didn't catch that."

"There was a bee!" Elowen finally relented, spilling the secret she had kept for almost two decades.

"A bee?"

"Yes, they're quite frightening, you know?"

"You met the Black Dread without so much as a concern, but a bee caused you to run straight into a pond?"

"That was a different circumstance entirely."

"I've seen grown men cower at the sight of Balerion, but you, you tried to pet him as if he was some nobles fat cat." Viserys argued.

"Yes, well a bee is a wild thing with only its instincts to guide it."

"And the largest dragon in the world at the time is less wild than a bee?"

Elowen's gaze returned to the pond not wishing to see Viserys's reaction to what she was about to admit. "I suppose I trusted that you wouldn't let anything happen to me."

Viserys was at a loss for words, Elowen had trusted him so much she had willingly placed herself before a dragon with teeth as long as swords and so large his shadow would engulf whole towns when he flew overhead. She had believed that Viserys would keep her safe so wholeheartedly that she had willingly risked her own life.

A soft easy smile pulled at Viserys's lips as he grabbed Elowen's left elbow. "I still wouldn't let anything happen to you."

The promise fell from his lips with such ease and certainty that Elowen dared not doubt him. Her right hand reached around her body to lay over his hand.

"I know." She whispered as his eyes bore into hers.

The moment was sweet as both took in the whispered promise. Elowen wondered why it had always been him she felt safe with, why he had always put her mind at ease? She thought this might have been what her mother had spoken of so many years ago, of how a marriage should feel. As the thought passed an uneasy feeling filled her stomach. She had a husband and Viserys had been married to Aemma, not to mention he was the King.

Viserys didn't understand how calm he felt in Elowen's presence, as if all his racing mind needed was to feel her nearby. He shouldn't feel this way, it was wrong. She was married to his Master of Coin, though Lord Redfort didn't deserve her. But it wasn't only her marriage status that should keep him away, she was his Aemma's cousin and closest companion. He would be betraying Aemma to even consider anything.

The King cleared his throat as he averted his eyes and dropped his hand from Elowen's arm, breaking the moment the two had found themselves trapped in.

"The-the Small Council is urging me to remarry." Viserys glanced at Elowen out of the corner of his eye watching as her face fell. "It seems the realm wants for a new queen."

Elowen took a moment to respond, forcing a small smile onto her face as if the news didn't shake her at her very core. "A good and kind queen would be a comfort to your subjects. D-does the Small Council have a particular lady in mind?"

"Lord Corlys Velaryon has offered the hand of his daughter, the Lady Laena."

The pit in Elowen's stomach grew larger. "It would be a very strong match, Your Grace. But she is quite young is she not?"

"That is of concern. I must admit, I don't know Laena very well which is why I wished to hear your thoughts on the matter."

"I'm sure that she is good and kind and will enjoy your company as I have, Your Grace." Elowen responded though the words felt like poison on her tongue. "I apologize, Your Grace, I had forgotten I was meant to meet with the Princess."

Elowen quickly curtsied before rushing away, not bothering to even look at the King as she fled. Viserys's heart fell as he watched Elowen run from him. He wished to keep her in his life, to hold onto her companionship but he feared if he remarried she would distance herself from him. She was good in that way, so effortlessly kind and compassionate. 

AN: They're pretty cute if I do say so myself

-ELE