Chapter Thirty

The Great Hall was bathed in a golden light, every noble of the realm had donned their best finery and filled the room. Elowen sat beside Viserys as the noble houses of the Seven Kingdoms were announced. Music played as everyone but the Royal Family mingled. Rhaenyra sat on the other side of the King, sneaking glances towards where Lady Alicent sat beside the Queen. Upon Otto Hightower's dismissal as Hand of the King, Elowen had taken the young Hightower girl as a ward. Even if Elowen and Rhaenyra were no longer as close as they had once been, she hadn't wished to see Rhaenyra separated from her closest friend.

"House Lannister with their Lord, Jason Lannister. Lord Paramount of the West and Master of Casterly Rock." Ser Harrold announced as a group dressed all in red and gold entered the Great Hall. House Lannister bowed before the Royal family's table, before moving to find their seats. Jason Lannister was the only one who remained, walking up the steps and onto the raised platform the Royal family sat on.

"Congratulations, Your Grace. You have made a fine match for the Princess." Lord Jason spoke, only addressing the King, as if Rhaenyra wasn't sitting in front of him.

"Thank you, Lord Jason." Rhaenyra thanked the arrogant man, his eyes narrowing slightly as the Princess spoke for her father. "I could think of no better man than Ser Laenor."

"Well," Lord Jason looked around the room. "If this is only the welcome feast, I admit , I cannot imagine what you might have planned for the wedding."

"Well, my daughter is the future Queen. I wanted this to be a wedding for the histories."

Upon hearing the title of Queen, Lord Jason turned his attention to Elowen. "Speaking of Queens, you look lovely this evening, Your Grace. Gold is a ravishing color on you, perhaps you might wish to visit Casterly Rock one day. Our tailors and smiths could fashion you a dress of pure gold."

Elowen attempted to smile though her stomach turned as she felt the man's gaze rest solely on her bosom. "Thank you, Lord Jason, though it will be some time till I feel fit to travel. And Casterly Rock is such a long journey I fear my children are too young to make it."

The Lord of Casterly Rock's smile grew strained for a moment before he turned to the teen sitting at Elowen's side. "Am I to understand you have taken a ward?"

"Yes, the Lady Alicent," Elowen smiled, taking Alicent's hand in her own. "I did not wish to have her and Rhaenyra separated. They are such close companions after all."

"Yes," Lord Jason smirked, running his gaze down Alicent's neck to the lowest point of her neckline. "You look ravishing, my lady. I shall pray the gods grant me the gift of dancing with you tonight."

Elowen could feel Alicent tense as Lord Jason looked her up and down, like a piece of meat. "Thank you, Lord Jason. Now if you would be so kind as to rejoin your House, we have many more guests to greet." Elowen dismissed the man, waving a hand in the direction of the rest of House Lannister.