Chapter Twenty-Nine

 Birds flew overhead, soaring on warm winds blowing from the Blackwater bay. Sweet songs filled the air as they communicated, gliding towards a strong oak. A redbird landed on a branch, hopping over to a small pile of dried grass and twigs. Three tiny heads poked out of the nest covered in soft brown downy feathers, their beaks opened wide as they chirped at their parent. The larger bird quickly fed their hungry offspring though the baby birds continued to chirp. With a flap of her wings the mother bird took off once more in search of more food for her young.

Elowen sighed, tearing her eyes away from the birds and looking to the trio further down the path. "It is a mother's fate to give everything she has in the hope of giving her children a better life."

"A heroic act indeed," Rhaenys responded from Elowen's left. "One that goes unacknowledged most days."

"I do not fault Viserys, I understand he is a King first. Though some days I find myself wondering what might have been if he was a lord of a small house. If the Great Council had chosen you as Jaehaerys's heir." Elowen paused, glancing at Rhaenys as she let her words sink in. "I dare say he would have been happier."

"I have long since made my peace with it. My life on Driftmark has been a happy one."

Elowen hummed in response. Ser Laenor and Lady Laena strode ahead of the two women with Rhaenyra between them, throwing their heads back in laughter at something the Princess had said. Laena's arm wrapped around Rhaenyra's, pulling her closer.

"Such a heavy burden to place on ones so young. I pray that the gods show them favor."

"A sentiment shared by many I hope." Rhaenys's eyes grew distant as she stared at her children. "My husband had set sail to Tarth to fight by my father's side when I first learned I was with child, Laenor was my one solace in that time. He proved himself in the Stepstones, but we both know court life is a different field of battle entirely. I worry for what he may find himself facing."

Elowen reached out slowly as if nearing a wild animal, before laying her hand on the Princess's shoulder. "I promise you now that no harm befall him, nor will his name be sullied. He will join my children in my heart and I will protect him as one. I swear this to you, Princess."

"Thank you, Your Grace. Your words are a comfort." Rhaenys felt a smile pull at the corners of her lips, though she attempted to stop it. There had been a time when she had wished for nothing more than to hate the younger woman, but having witnessed the love shared between her and Rhaenys's cousin the older woman had found her opinion changing. Elowen was a good and kindhearted woman, considerate in every way.

"We are one house in more ways than one, I would like to consider you more than my husband's cousin or the Lady of Driftmark. I'd like to be friends if you feel the same."

Rhaenys finally allowed the smile to grow. "Your company is enjoyable, though if we are to be friends I would like to be called by my name."

"Of course, Rhaenys." Elowen flashed the older woman a grateful smile before turning her attention back to the trio they were meant to be chaperoning. "Now that we are friends, when might I meet Meleys? I wish to see the Red Queen in all her magnificence."