Chapter Thirteen

Night had fallen over King's Landing, reminding Viserys of Elowen's impending departure. The King felt lost, he didn't know what to do. His wife had died in his need for an heir, his brother had betrayed him and been exiled, his relationship with his daughter was tense, neither knowing what to say or how to speak their minds. Elowen had become his safe place to land as the winds of King's Landing raged on. She had been the only one to not ask anything of him, to not desire him for the crown that had fallen onto his head.

A deafening silence filled the room as Viserys stared into nothingness, a half empty cask of arbor red sat within arm's reach. The false peace was interrupted by a knock at the door, before it opened and a King's Guard entered followed by the Heir to the Iron Throne.

"Rhaenyra-" Viserys moved to stand on unsteady feet, concern filling him as he recognized the red ring around her eyes.

"You're just going to allow Elowen to leave?" Rhaenyra glared at her father, wishing he would do something to keep what was left of Rhaenyra's small family intact.

"Her father has called her home, what am I meant to do?"

"You are King, order her to stay."

Viserys sighed, he wished Rhaenyra would understand. "If Elowen wished to remain in King's Landing she would have said something."

White strands shook with the force of Rhaenyra's denial. "Elowen has been feeling lonely and lost since mother's death. She hides it well but she waits in her rooms for either you or I to call on her."

"That does not change the fact that she has already packed away her belongings before even speaking to me on the matter."

"Elowen is good, she is honorable and selfless. She is only leaving out of duty to her House and a misguided notion that it is for the best." Rhaenyra grabbed her father's hand, begging him. "She needs to hear her king say that she still has a place in court, give her some title and duties to attend to and she will stay, I know it."

"You truly wish for her to stay?"

"Yes."

Viserys sighed, though he didn't know if it was out of relief or from the stress of having to speak to Elowen. "I'll speak to her, return to your chambers the hour has grown late."

"Tonight." Viserys raised an eyebrow at the statement. "She leaves in the morning you need to speak to her tonight."

Viserys merely nodded, pushing Rhaenyra to the door with a hand on her back.

★・・・・・・★

Elowen had been unable to find sleep. She had dragged a chair to the window and curled up, her knees had been brought to her chest, arms wrapping around her shins in an effort to bring her some semblance of comfort. Out her window she could see the lights of King's Landing twinkling over the walls that surrounded the Red Keep.

The creak of her door barely caused Elowen to stir. "I told you I was fine, Gretchel."

"It's not Gretchel." The voice had grown familiar, especially in the almost year that had passed since Aemma's death.

Elowen jumped to her feet, falling over herself in an effort to face the King. "Your Grace, I-"

"Viserys, please just call me Viserys." The older man stretched a hand out as if attempting to calm a frightened animal, scared it would flee and never be seen again.

"Viserys, I- What are you doing here?"

"I needed to see you, I need to know if this is what you want? If you truly wish to leave?"

"The Red Keep is all I know, but my father has called me back to Heart's Home. I can't disappoint him more than I have."

"You aren't a disappointment, Elowen." Viserys stepped forward, slowly easing his way closer to Elowen.

"I am nothing, Viserys," A harsh laugh forced itself from Elowen's chest, as tears began to gather in the corner of her eyes. "Absolutely nothing. A widow from a poor insignificant house. I cannot even have children, the one thing a woman is meant to do."

"I do not care, none of that matters," Viserys reached out, finally close enough to grasp Elowen's hands in his own. "You are good, and kind, and loyal to a fault. You have borne my anger, my sadness, and my grief. And despite it all you have been kindhearted and caring, lifting me from the waves of despair that threatened to crash over me. I like to think I have offered you a similar respite?"

"You have." Elowen lifted her eyes from their joined hands, meeting his eyes and offering him a watery smile.

"I do not say this lightly, but I say it with every fiber of my being. I have fallen in love with you, tell me you feel the same?" One of his hands left hers, cupping the side of her face.

"I do," Elowen whispered, leaning into his touch. "I think part of me always has."

"Then marry me."

"I can't." Elowen shook her head, lifting her free hand to hold his against her cheek. She turned her head, pressing a kiss to the heel of his palm.

"Why not?" Viserys pleaded. "We would be happy, we both deserve to be happy."

"You said so yourself, you need to strengthen your line. It would be best for House Targaryen and the realm if you married Lady Laena and I returned to Heart's Home."

"You are wrong," Viserys argued, lifting their tangled fingers to his chest, pushing her hand over his heart. "It would not be better for anyone if you were to leave. I will not marry Lady Laena or any other lady of the court. It is you, only you."

Tears began leaking from hazel eyes as Elowen stared up at Viserys, searching for any sign of dishonesty. When she found none she pushed herself onto the tips of her toes, pressing her forehead to his. "I love you."

"Say yes." Viserys whispered.

"Yes." Elowen breathed as her lips finally brushed against his.

The King and the former lady-in-waiting melted into each other as the tethers that been holding them back, snapped. Viserys cradled Elowen with a softness she had never known. His lips and whispered proclamations of love chased away any doubts still remaining. Her hands held him as if fearful he would slip away and she would awaken to find it had all been a dream. 

AN: It finally happened! Also I was listening to Taylor Swift while writing this not realizing that it was chapter thirteen lol

-ELE