Chapter Thirty-One

The eleven years since the tragic wedding had weighed heavily on Elowen's heart

The eleven years since the tragic wedding had weighed heavily on Elowen's heart. The divide between the once close Aunt and Niece continued to grow larger and larger, until it felt like the rift was as endless as the sea and as deep as the mines scattered throughout the Westerlands. Only spreading with each brown eyed and brunette child Rhaenyra gave birth too.

And though Elowen held no ill feelings for her grandsons, she felt as if she had failed with every whisper of the boy's true father she heard. Elowen vehemently denied the accusations, threatening every rumormonger with time in the stocks. Though that didn't assuage any guilt Elowen felt when she saw Rhaenys, feeling as if she had failed to uphold her promise from years ago.

The only time Elowen felt true respite from the wright of the realm and Rhaenyra's actions was when she was with her children. Aegon, now a boy of thirteen, had grown quick witted and arrogant especially since he had claimed a young dragon with gleaming gold scales. He had named the beast Sunfyre after his younger sister, Helaena's dragon, Dreamfyre. Alyssa had also followed after her elder brother, naming her pale purple mount Moonfyre, after the way the Dragon shone silver in the sunlight. Aemond, Elowen's sweet Aemond, had claimed no dragon and grew restless and impatient with each day that passed and he remained dragonless. His want for a dragon grew worse when his younger brother, Daeron, claimed a bright blue she-dragon. Elowen had held him as he cried, promising he would have a dragon.

Light streamed through sheer curtains, lighting up the room with the early day sun. Elowen rested upon a settee in her personal chambers gifted to her by her husband. One night while Elowen had given birth to Aemond months earlier and was walking around the rooms she shared with her husband trying to soothe the babe to sleep. It was on one of her turns around the room when she hit her foot against Viserys's model of Old Valyria. Her mood had instantly soured, breaking out into tears of her own as she sunk to the floor. That was where Viserys's had found her. The next day the apartments next to his were cleaned and decorated for Elowen's personal use. Now the chambers were where Elowen took her appointments and spent time with her children.

A soft kick to her thigh brought Elowen out of her thoughts, turning to look at the other end of the settee. Alyssa had sprawled out across the cushions, at some point she had slipped off her shoes and rested her bare feet atop Elowen's thigh. The young girl merely pointed to where her sister stood on a small pedestal.

"You look lovely Helaena," Elowen praised. "How do you feel?"

Helaena looked down at the dress she wore, it was the exact same as her twin sisters. The only difference between the two gowns was the colors, where Alyssa's was a deep maroon and dusty pink, Helaena's was a dark indigo and lavender. Her fingers picked at the fabric as she thought over her words.

Elowen lifted Alyssa's feet off of her, placing them back on the cushion as she stood up. The mother knelt before her daughter, catching Helaena's hands in hers. "What if we added some embroidery and beading?" Elowen asked, lifting her and Helaena's hands to the neckline. "How about some spiders or butterflies here?"