Chapter Forty-Nine

As the evening sun began its descent over King's Landing, Elowen slowly paced the length of her apartments. Her nerves racked her body even though there was a sense of calmness within the room. Helaena focused on the embroidery in her lap, occasionally glancing to where Jace sat to her left. A grin would spread across Jace's lips each time his gaze met Helaena's, his words would falter for a moment before forcing himself to continue reading aloud. Alyssa sat nearby, rolling her eyes every time Helaena and Jace looked at each other, though a fond smile pulled at her lips.

At the fifth interruption, Alyssa loudly sighed causing Helaena and Jace to flush as they attempted to ignore their embarrassment. Luke chuckled beside Alyssa, the two joining forces to tease their siblings. Joffrey and Viserra laid on the myrish rug between their siblings, toy soldiers and cloth dolls scattered around them.

Elowen turned to the open balcony, taking a deep breath as she joined her good daughter. Rhaena's gaze remained locked on the horizon, searching for sign of a ship or dragon. Elowen silently reached out, wrapping her arm around Rhaena's.

"This is the first time I've seen some of my children off," Elowen whispered. "I pray you will be as lucky as Viserys and I were to spend each night together."

"I understand why he had to do it, I only wish it hadn't come to this."

"Rhaenyra and Daemon had their chance." Elowen's voice was void of emotion, as if the fact no longer pained her.

Elowen knew that Rhaenyra was the only one to blame for the descent onto Dragonstone, that Aemond had had no choice but to declare war on his eldest sister. Several ships had sailed to Dragonstone carrying hundreds of armed knights, intent to capture the Traitorous Princess and the Rogue Prince. The Velaryon fleet led by Corlys, followed after, encircling the small island and ensuring no help would come and none could escape by the sea. Aemond, Aegon, Daeron, Baela, and Rhaenys flew by dragon prepared to stop Rhaenyra or Daemon should they attempt to escape on dragonback.

"Come inside," Elowen squeezed Rhaena's forearm. "Time will not pass any quicker out here than with your family."

Rhaena nodded, allowing her good mother to lead her back into the warm apartments.

★・・・・・・★

The Realm's delight and the Rogue Prince had returned to their home in chains, marched through the city's streets as the people that had once loved their crowned princess hurled insults her way. Tears threatened to well up in her eyes, though Rhaenyra fought them off, gritting her teeth as she was dragged along the cobblestone road. A foul smelling liquid was dumped over her head as she passed under people's homes. She glanced up, seeing a plump older woman with a hateful gleam in her eyes and a chamber pot resting on the windowsill.

As if all it took was one person, more insults and items began to rain down on her. The knights holding her captive did little to stop the treatment, instead chuckling as they pushed her forward. The walls of the Red Keep did little to calm her, instead the halls of her father were even more unwelcoming. The lords and ladies that had once knelt before her and swore fealty, grinned as she was led to the Great Hall.

Elowen was forced to swallow her revulsion as Rhaenyra and Daemon finally entered the Great Hall. Her nose wrinkled at the foul stench wafting off of the Princess.

"You stand accused of treason and attempted usurpation," Aemond spoke, his grip tightening around the hilt of his sword. "How do you answer these charges?"

"How can I usurp my own throne?" Rhaenyra questioned.

"It is not your throne, Princess." Elowen spoke, causing Rhaenyra's gaze to snap to her. "King Aemond was named in this hall by your father, following your return to Dragonstone."

"That is only because you manipulated him," Rhaenyra argued. "My father loved me, he chose me as heir."

"He did, but he also loved his other children and after your repeated cruelty to your siblings he decided you were not suited for the throne."

"Lies," Rhaenyra growled. "You poisoned him against me as you've done to my sons."

"My brothers recognize the true king of the realm," Jace spoke up, returning his mother's harsh glare. "As Grandsire wanted it to be."

"You cunt." Daemon spat, lunging against his chains in an effort to reach his stepson.

"I am the rightful heir!" Rhaenyra yelled, stomping her foot in anger. "My father chose me! The realm swore fealty to me!"

Silence!" Aemond shouted, shooting to his feet. "I offered you the chance to admit to your crimes and still you insult my family. You will have no more chances, sister, what happens now is on your own head."

With the King's dismissal, Daemon and Rhaenyra were dragged from the room. Kicking and screaming all the way to their cells in the dungeons.

★・・・・・・★

As the sun rose over the Blackwater Bay, the sound of hammering disturbed the morning peace as a small stage was constructed in the largest square in King's Landing. The Small Folk rushed to the square, eager to get the best view. A bell tolled in the distance as Elowen and her family gathered atop the stage, all but Viserra and Joffrey who had been deemed too young.

Elowen stared straight ahead as guards pushed through the crowd, dragging Rhaenyra and Daemon to the stage. The smallfolk screamed abuse at the uncle and niece, calling for their deaths.

"Prince Daemon of House Targaryen," Lord Lyonel spoke loudly so all in attendance could hear him. "Has been found guilty of treason and plotting to conspire to usurp the Iron Throne. For his crimes, he will be put to death."

The crowd cheered as a large man dressed solely in black with nothing but the whites of his eyes showing stepped forward, pushing Daemon onto his knees. Two guards had to step forward to hold Daemon down as he struggled against his restraints. The executioner unsheathed his large sword, lifting it over his head before bringing it down in one swift motion.

Daemon's head rolled off of the stage and fell to the ground below. His limp body was pushed to the side as Rhaenyra was dragged to his place and forced to kneel in her husband's blood.

"Princess Rhaenyra of House Targaryen," Lord Lyonel spoke once again. "Has been found guilty of treason and plotting to conspire to usurp the Iron Throne. For her crimes, she will be put to death."

Once more the crowd cheered, covering up the sounds of Rhaenyra's tears as guards forced her to her knees. The Executioner lifted the blade high, pausing for a breath before bringing it down. The crowd gasped as Rhaenyra's head remained attached to her body and blood began pooling around her, painting her silver hair red. The Executioner quickly raised the blade again and let it fall. Rhaenyra's head fell with a soft thud as her body collapsed.

Elowen tore her gaze looking up at the sky, as she fought the tears that pooled in her eyes. Her chest ached as she grieved the girl she had once known. Now as Rhaenyra's blood began to dry, Elowen could properly mourn the sweet teen who she had helped raise and loved as her own. This was not what she had wanted when Elowen had fallen in love with Viserys, yet it seemed the gods had had a different plan.

AN: I originally wanted to stretch this out into two chapters but I have the flu so I'm tired

-ELE