The Refusal of it (SW) // #5

// this is a heavy chapter of covering a certain mental illness (schizophrenia), so if you're easily triggered by these kinda chapters feel free to click off. Take care and look after yourselves. <3

"Anosognosia: 'lack of insight'; a severe symptom of being unable to perceive one's illness when there's visible evidence of having it. This occurs in dementia disorders, in addition to bipolar and schizophrenia. When we talk about this symptom in particular: this is an indication that somebody is unaware of their medical problem or mental health condition; therefore people will do anything to cover this up. Mr. Lark: I can understand that you have this temptation of saying you're in denial; however, you may not be thinking clearly to consciously choose in being denial. The best way I can describe it is you have a severity of unawareness towards your surroundings. You've mentioned that you lost touch with reality, as well as hearing voices. Correct?"

Silence filled up the room. No sudden movement was received from the Norsk himself, keeping his seat warm as he pressed his back against it; keeping a dull facial expression the entire time. His silver eye glanced over at the doctor, briefly nodding his head, before he broke the attention span off to stare at the door. "I wouldn't say I'm 'hearing voices' when these people still exist. They're still alive, from what I've seen." He answered, crossing his pair of arms to further heat himself. The doctor nodded in response, quickly writing notes on their notepad to store information and ask any questions they've had in mind. "Schizophrenia would be suitable in this case. It'll take a long time to cope with this, but just know that we're here to help you" they've reassured, glimpsing up at the patient. Tord released a quiet groan, now bringing their attention back to the doctor. "Bullshit. I don't have it. I'm telling you: these people are real, I see them every day."

The doctor nodded as a way to understand him, although this wasn't going to end well: the previous amount of times they've had an appointment together, it resulted in a massive brawl from Tord. All they could do is observe his behavior and report it to the other doctors; try to find a way to make him feel better. "Let me ask you this then: do you happen to realize that your deceased friends aren't around? They died a long time ago, due to sending a rocket to their house. You said that they'd be better off dead." Tord scoffed.

What he didn't realize was that the entirety of the appointment: it wasn't real. And neither were his friends. This was just an ongoing scenario of a "what-if" situation. He grew obsessed over this to the point of self-isolation overwhelming him.

Tord's used to it, and he knows.