3. Kismet

Gus:

He closed his eyes to recollect himself before walking up the steps of the school building.

There were only a few other people outside the school doors, waiting for them to open. He sat on the far side of the bottom step and waited for his friends to show up while he listened to his music.

Just then, someone tapped his shoulder, Boscha.

"Hey Boscha"

"Hi Gus. I was wondering if you had the homework answers for the history of magic homework that's due today"

"Um, why didn't you do the homework?"

"I had a lot of stuff going on and didn't have the time to do it."

"Okay... let me get it."

Gus opened up his bag, rolling his eyes. He knew that Boscha was lying, she always did this to get out of doing homework and he couldn't do anything about it because she thought they were friends.

Boscha smirked and took his homework to copy it down. "Thanks," she replied, way too happy for it to be convincing. That made Gus feel gross inside. He didn't like that.

She gave him back the homework and walked off. Gus' friends started arriving shortly after.

While they were talking, he noticed someone unfamiliar. It was a shorter boy with short, caramel brown hair. He was standing far off, away from everyone.

The bell rang and all the students piled through the doors. Gus walked with Willow since they had the same first-period class together.

"How was your weekend," Willow asked.

"It was alright, just the normal I guess. What about you?"

"Meh. It was boring. I was hoping you'd have something interesting to tell about your weekend," She added, giggling slightly.

They walled for a bit in awkward silence. Thoughts crossed Gus' mind rapidly, as they normally do. Gus remembered something.

"Hey Willow," he asked.

"Yeah?"

"Ok, I'm going to describe someone to you and you're going to tell me if you've seen someone who looks like that. Okay?"

"Okay?..."

"So, there's this boy that's kinda short, a little bit shorter than me I think, and he has short brown hair in a middle part. He doesn't seem to hang around anyone though. Does he sound familiar?"

"Umm... not really. Who is this kid anyway?"

"I don't know. I just saw him this morning and he didn't look familiar to me, so I wondered if you maybe recognized him."

Willow shrugged her shoulders, having no idea who Gus was talking about.

Gus felt a bit silly for bringing it up, his face turned slightly red in embarrassment. He hid his face with his books though, so Willow wouldn't notice him being stupid.

Throughout all of Gus' classes that day, that strange by just wouldn't leave his mind. Who was he? Was he new? Did Gus just never notice him?

The same questions crossed Gus' mind all day, it drove him crazy!

When the bell rang, signaling for lunch, Gus felt relief in him. He thought that he could maybe talk to Luz and Amity about this strange boy, maybe they knew who he was?

He got his lunch bag from his locker and walked over to the cafeteria. He sat down at his usual spot and waited for his friends. He was always the first one to arrive at places, lunch, school, meetups, you name it.

He spaced out, his mind wandering anywhere and everywhere. Luz tapped him on the shoulder. "You okay?" she asked, bringing Gus back down to reality.

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I was just spacing out," he replied, embarrassed.

Luz gave him an understanding smile, and it made him feel less embarrassed.

Amity and Willow were talking about something, and Luz joined in. Gus has originally been partaking in the conversation, but something caught his eye.

Not something.

Someone.

It was that boy.

It was the boy he saw earlier.

He was sitting all by himself at the corner of a table at the far end of the cafeteria. He looked sad.

Gus couldn't look away. He was so intrigued and curious about this kid. His mind just wouldn't put the thought of this boy away!!

The strange boy looked up and saw Gus staring, Gus quickly looked away, his face burning a dark red in embarrassment.

Gus went back to his friends' conversation to get his head right.

When the school day ended and everyone said their goodbyes, Gus noticed the strange kid walking on the same path he was.

Gus tried not to think about him. He tried not to think at all. He turned on his earbuds in an attempt to drown out his thoughts, and it worked.

Well, it worked until he saw the strange boy sit down and cry.

(End scene)
I am very sorry this chapter took me a while to write. For some reason my motivation has spiraled downwards at the moment. I've had a ton of schoolwork and haven't slept good. But I'm proud of myself for getting this chapter out for you guys!

I hope you all are doing amazing.
I love you guys, and I want you to know that I'm proud of you.