20. Mágoa

Matt:

As soon as Matt closed the classroom door, he ran.

To where? He didn't quite know.

But he had to get away from there.

Matt ran around the massive school for what seemed like forever. When his legs were about to give up on him, he decided to make a quick turn into the auditorium. He closed the door, careless of how much noise it made, and he sat down in one of the chairs and cried.

Why am I even crying? It was just something some stupid kid said. Why did it even hurt?

The bell rang. Matt just stayed there. He didn't care right then. He knew Gus would be worried if he didn't show up for history, but he didn't care.

The tears kept coming. Matt couldn't seem to make them stop. The bell rang again, signaling the start of the last class. 15 minutes went by, and he got a text from Gus.

Gus: "Hey, where are you? You're not in history. Are you okay?"

Matt just turned his phone off. He couldn't do this right now. He wanted to be alone. Well, he wasn't exactly sure if he wanted to be alone.

His phone went off again.

Gus: "Matt. I'm actually starting to worry, please answer me. Are you okay? Where are you? I know you're seeing this. Please."

Matt turned off his phone again. But as soon as he did, Gus kept texting him.

Gus: "Matt. I can't syst in the bathroom for all of class. Please tell me you're okay. I can see that you've read these, btw. Please answer me."

Matt just kept reading Gus' messages. He couldn't bring himself to do anymore.

Gus: "Matt."
Gus: "Please answer me, im really worried and I have to go back to class really soon. Just send me something simple to let me know you're okay. It can be as simple as a single letter. Just please answer me."

Matt sighed and typed an answer.

Matt: "Sorry. Bad day. Tell u later."

Gus: "Thank you. I have to go back to class soon, are you still at school?"

Matt: "mhm"

Gus: "Okay, we'll still walk home, right?"

Matt: "yeah"

Gus: "Okay, I'll see you then. Please stay safe. <3"

Matt stared at the last message. He felt his cheeks flush and quickly scolded himself for it.

The already silent auditorium fell even more silent when Matt realized how alone he actually was. He had one friend and one parent. That was it.

He had nothing.

Nothing to miss him when he was gone.

Nothing to care about him when he wanted nothing but to dissappear from this vile planet.

His only remaining parent kicked him out and replaced his dad with a stupid drunken dude! He didn't have her, not when she betrayed him and dad like that.

The only person who cared but Matt in this stupid universe was Gus.

"Gus," Matt croaked quietly.

The name echoed in the silence of the auditorium.

Tears fell from Matt's eyes once again. "Why am I so stupid," he whispered, silently sobbing. He hugged his knees and sunk into himself.

Sniffles echoed softly throughout the auditorium as the scrawny boy cried. He wanted Gus. He wanted him to hold him while he cries and tell him it's all going to be okay. He wanted him to make him feel like they're the only people in the world and that they can do anything.

He wanted him to...

He wanted Gus to think of him the same way he thought of Gus.

Matt sighed. He didn't mean to. It wasn't the sigh that was unintended. It was the feelings.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the school day. Matt grabbed his things and made a mad dash for the door. He had to get out first so no one saw him crying. He put the front doors and turned the corner, stopping at the end of the block. He figured Gus could see him from here. He was right.

As soon as Gus spotted Matt, he waved goodbye to his friends and ran to him. When he got to Matt, he grabbed his hand and led him home.

The whole walk there, Gus kept a straight face. Matt couldn't tell what emotion was hidden behind it, but he was scared. Gus kept a firm but gentle grip on Matt's hand as he led them home in silence.

When they reached Gus' house, Gus silently unlocked the house and walked straight up to his room. Matt followed, nervous about what was coming.

When Matt walked I to the room, he saw Gus sitting down on his bed, a blanket wrapped around him, and the orange blanket sitting next to him. He pat the spot next to him, and Matt walked over, wrapping the blanket around himself and sitting down.

Gus sighed and said, "Do you want to talk about what happened today?"

Matt nodded his head but hesitated after doing so. After another second of consideration, he nodded his head as a definite yes.

"Okay, you can start whenever," Gus noted calmly, leaning his head on Matt's shoulder.

Matt took a deep breath and explained some of the things that had happened that day. He left out most of the details on what happened in the auditorium, but Gus didn't need to know all of that. He didn't finish before tears had formed in his eyes.

When he finished, Gus hugged him tightly. "Who was the kid that made fun of you," he asked, but it wasn't much of a question, more like a statement.

Matt shook his head, panic laced in his eyes. If he told Gus, then he'd tell the teacher. If the teacher told the principal, then the boy would know that it had hurt him. If he knew that it hurt him, then he'd keep doing those things and get other people to join in on him and-

"Matt? You okay? I lost you for a second," Gus asked intently.

Matt was brought back to reality. "I'm so sorry, Gus," he croaked, "I can't tell you. Because then he'll find out that I told someone and he'll just keep saying mean things and- and it really hurts- and I cant- I can't help that it hurts-"

"Matt, you're rambling," Gus pointed out, "Can you please just tell me the name of the kid? I won't tell anyone if that's what you want. I promise."

"Do you pinky promise?" Matt said, smiling ever-so-slightly.

"I pinky promise," Gus responded with a nod.

"Okay. You can't go back on it. Because if you do, then I get to break your pinky," Matt noted, a slight hint of playful sass behind his voice.

Gus sighed playfully and hugged Matt. "If he bullies you more, I'm going to tell someone. I'll ask you about it first, though, okay?"

"...fine."

(End scene)
No notes for this chapter.

Have an amazing day/night, everyone!