24. Abditory

Matt:

When Matt woke up that Saturday morning, Gus was still fast asleep in his arms. Matt flushed slightly and smiled. He was so happy. He felt his heart skip a few beats when Gus slightly tightened his grip on Matt and buried his head into his chest. He made a small sound as he did this, which gave Matt butterflies.

Matt was full-on Gay panicking.

His face was red. Very red.

But that didn't make him feel any less comfortable around his- wait... what were they?

We're they friends?

They literally like like eachother... so no? Yes?

But they weren't dating.

Matt made a mental note to ask Gus later or try to ask him later. But for the time being, he cherished this perfect moment. He tucked his head over Gus' and brought him ever-so-closer to him.

Matt smiled to himself as he thought of how lucky he was to have this moment. For this brief moment, he forgot all about his past. He felt lighter, happier, free.

He pet Estelle with one hand but kept his other wrapped around Gus. Gus' slow beathes made his chest rise and fall rhythmically. Matt tried his best to match his breathing with Gus but gave up.

After 15 minutes, Matt fell back asleep. Estelle had moved spots and sat perched upon Matt's side.

Conveniently, Gus woke up not too long after Matt fell back asleep. He gazed at Matt's tired face. He adored everything about him. The way his mouth hung open just a bit when he slept. The way his smile turned upside-down.

Gus smiled as he played with Matt's hair. It was soft and fluffy, which was another thing Gus adored about Matt.

Gus playing with his hair had woken up Matt. He liked it when Gus played with his hair, so he pretended to still be asleep.

Gus hummed to himself, Matt could hear the gentle notes that replaced the lyrics of whatever song it was that Gus was humming. It made him feel safe. Safer than he ever had.

Matt couldn't resist himself, so he hugged Gus tighter. He stopped his humming and chuckled lightly.

"Good morning, Matt," Gus whispered sweetly.

"Good morning," Matt replied happily.

"How'd you sleep?" Gus asked.

"This is probably the best ove slept in a while, if I'm being honest," Matt confessed, trailing off at the end.

"I'm glad," Gus stated sincerely.

The two boys sat in silence together for a few minutes. Gus played with Matt's hair some more, and Matt kept his arms wrapped around Gus, burying his face in Gus' chest.

Gus' dad called from downstairs, "Hey boys! I made you two breakfast, I have to go to work now, so please eat it before it gets cold!"

Gus replied, "Okay, Dad! Have a good day at work!"

Once they heard the door close, Gus said, "Come on, Matt, breakfast is going to get cold, let's go."

Matt mumbled and shook his head. "But I'm warm," he whined playfully.

"Come on, up!" Gus sang playfully as he picked up Matt. He set Matt down on his feet, and Matt smiled as he laughed.

"Fine," Matt agreed, still laughing.

The two bots headed downstairs and found a plate of pancakes for each of them.

"Wow," Matt whispered, "your dad is really cool... huh."

"Yeah, he's awesome."

"My dad used to do things like this all the time..." Matt sighed solemnly. Gus walked over to him and hugged him from behind, resting his chin on Matt's shoulder. Matt smiled sadly at Gus' gesture and thanked him.

The two boys sat down and ate their pancakes in silence. Unlike most other days, this silence wasn't comfortable, to say the least. There was some unspoken thing between them that was clawing at their vocal cords, begging to be let out.

They finished their pancakes and went back upstairs. Gus suggested that they watch a movie, and Matt obviously agreed.

They sat down in Gus' bed, but there was still some strange awkwardness between them. It was driving Matt crazy because he didn't know how to go about getting rid of the tension.

Although Matt tried to pay attention to the movie, his mind kept wandering back to Gus. He drew the orange blanket nearer to his face as he tried to keep his mind focused on the movie.

But it didn't work.

All he could think about was Gus.

Did Gus really like him? Or was it just a dream? Or was Gus just messing with him?

No. Gus wouldn't do that...

He wouldn't, right?

Matt's heart began to race, a feeling that was all too familiar to him. Gus noticed something was wrong when he heard Matt starting to breathe slightly faster.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Gus sked tentatively, scooting toward Matt.

"Yes- well, no. But I'm going to just walk it out in the living room. I'll be right back." Matt responded shortly.

Gus nodded as Matt went downstairs. Once downstairs, he let go of the orange blanket, dropping it to the floor. He paced back and forth, muttering to himself. All too quickly, Matt was sucked into his brain.

Darkness.
Why does he always overthink?
Why does he let people in that don't deserve to be let in?
Why does he think that he'll stop it from happening again?
What if Gus really hates him?
What if Gus kicks him out?
What if he has to go back to his house?

Back to his mom.

No.
He couldn't let that happen.

Matt picked up the orange blanket and marched back upstairs. When Gus saw him, he looked at Matt eagerly. Matt took a deep breath. He knew this could go two ways. The good one was less likely to happen, seeing as good things scarcely happen to Matt

"Okay. Gus. I have to be very straightforward when I say this. If I offend you in any way possible, im very, very sorry."

Gus nodded his head, signaling for Matt to continue.

"Alright... Gus, do you actually like me?"

"What?"

Tears stung at Matt's eyes. He knew it. Good things didn't happen to him. "I-Im sorry, that was stupid I shouldn't have brought it up" Matt mumbled, turning around.

Gus stood up and ran over to Matt, grabbing his hand. "You didn't let me finish. Yes. Yes, I like you, Matt. I like you a lot. And I'm sorry if I did something to make you think otherwise."

Matt was overwhelmed with emotions, tears fell from his eyes as he stood gazing at the boy in front of him. "Are you sure?" He whispered.

"I'm sure," Gus said with a reassuring smile. He then picked up one of Matt's hands and placed a gentle kiss on it. Matt instantly turned red, and Gus hugged him.

That night, when they were sitting on the bed, hand in hand, Matt asked a question;

"Hey, Gus?"

"Hm?"

"What are we?"

"I think we can just be... an us. If that's what you want."

"That sounds nice..."

"Yeah... it really does."

(End scene)
Holy fuck it took me such a long time to get this out. I'm very sorry about that.

I hope you guys liked this chapter.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!