5. Aerumnous

Gus:

The next day at school, Gus kept looking for Matt. But he couldn't find him anywhere.

During lunch, Gus sat down, defeated. His friends noticed and exchanged a worried glance. "Are you okay Gus? You've been acting kind of off today," Willow asked in a quiet, worried tone.

"Yeah, it's just that I made a new friend yesterday and was hoping I'd get to see him at school. But I haven't," Gus sighed.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that. Do you share any classes" Luz asked.

"No, just lunch."

"Then go find him!"

"What? I don't want him to think I'm creepy or that I'm stalking him!"

"Look, just take a quick lap around the cafeteria, go to the water fountain over there" Luz retorted, pointing to a water fountain on the far side of the cafeteria.

Gus sighed and stood up.

He walked over to the fountain on the far side of the cafeteria. When he was on his way back, he spotted Matt sitting alone at a table in the corner.

Gus felt his heart sink, it was such a sad thing to see.

Cautiously, he walked over, pulled out a chair, and sat down. Matt jumped up, startled. He gave Gus a look of confusion, "why are you over here? Don't you have friends to sit with?"

"Well, yeah. But I wanted to sit here if that's fine with you."

"Oh," Matt said quietly, "Yeah, that's fine I guess." He smiled.

"Okay," Gus said, smiling as well, "are you going to eat anything for lunch?" Gus asked.

Matt looked down and looked back up, "No, I'm not very hungry."

"Oh, okay.... what classes do you have?" Gus asked, moving his seat just a little bit closer.

"Well, besides the courses we're automatically put in, I'm doing the construction course. But I think the illusion course is cool, so I'd like to apply to have that as an additional course." Gus could see Matt get more comfortable as he talked.

Throughout lunch, the two of them talked a lot. Matt became very comfortable, he was being more expressive and Gus saw his eyes twinkle ever so slightly when he talked about something he was passionate about.

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. The two boys groaned and looked at each other, they laughed a bit.

"Bye Matt, see you in 8th period" Gus cheered, waving to his friend as he walked out of the cafeteria.

"See you then!" Matt said, smiling at his friend.

~Time skip~

Matt:

As he went to his last classes, he felt happy. He didn't feel happy very often. He couldn't wait to see Gus in his last class.

He was walking to his last class, he could feel the happiness in him as it bubbled around.

He walked into the class and saw Gus, he waved at Matt and smiled. There was an empty seat behind Gus, so Matt sat there.

"Hey!" Gus grinned.

"Hey" Matt smiled.

The class went on as normal as a history class can go, they took some notes, and watched an intro video on their first topic of the year.

Gus and Matt both loved history, so they didn't talk very much during that class. However, as they were walking back home, all they could talk about was how excited they were for all the stuff they were going to learn in history that year.

Just as Matt was going to start talking about a certain time period, he realized that they had reached the spot where they turned opposite ways.

"Oh, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then" Matt said disappointed.

Gus said, "wait," and pulled out his scroll, "what's your penstagram? We can talk more about history and just stuff when we both get home," he said with a smile.

Matt felt himself fill up with happiness, he got out his scroll and added Gus, and Gus added him back.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow!" Gus called out, turning away and waving.

"See you tomorrow!" Matt called back, waving as he turned around.

Matt felt extremely happy, no one has ever shared the same interests as him, or went out of their way to talk to him or make him feel wanted. It was almost too good to be true.

Then a thought crossed his mind: maybe this WAS too good to be true. Maybe Gus was setting him up for some kind of sick joke. Or he was going to make fun of him for anything he might've said.

His mind raced and his heart rate sped up. He dashed back home, his scroll clenched tightly in his hand.

He opened the door and closed it quickly behind him. He bolted upstairs and into his bedroom.

He sat down on his bed, trying to regulate himself. He let out a scream of frustration and punched his knee.

"Why am I getting so upset over this," he asked himself, "He hasn't even done anything yet!!"

He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself down. Estelle (his cat) jumped up onto his bed to see what was wrong. She let out a "mrow" and rubbed her head against his leg, letting him know she was there and wanted to help.

He laid down and Estelle hopped up onto his chest and settled down immediately. She began purring, the soft purrs brought Matt extreme comfort. He reached his hand up to her face and scratched her soft, fuzzy head, which only made her purr more. She licked his hand and rubbed her head against it again.

"I love you," he whispered to his cat. She licked his nose as a response and went back to her laying position, where she quickly fell asleep.

Not too long after Estelle fell asleep, so did Matt. And his dreams were good that night, not bad like they normally were.

(End scene)

EEEEEEEEEEEE!!

I love this chapter!
Just a random fun fact, I'm basing Estelle off of my cat, Snickers. I love her so much and she has helped me through a lot over the past few years. (I'll put a picture of her up in the title header area)

I'm so happy to be writing more, and I really hope you enjoy this book so far! Thank you so much for reading, I love you guys!

(I also made a new cover for the book)