19. Yūgen

Gus:

Gus heard someone moving around, he rubbed his eyes, and looked around the room. He saw Matt thrashing around on his mattress, whimpering in distress.

Panic set in.

Gus swiftly got off his bed and went over to Matt. He sat down next to him and put his hand on Matt's forehead. "It's okay. I'm here now, it's okay," he cooed soothingly.

Suddenly, Matt shot awake. He looked around the room, terrified. When he saw Gus, he instinctively wrapped his arms around him. He buried his face in Gus' shoulder as tears fell from his face.

"Shhh, it's okay, Matt. It's going to be okay, I'm not going to leave. I promise," Gus whispered, rubbing circles on Matt's back with his hand.

Matt was shaking. His whole frame trembled as he held onto Gus, silent sobs racking his body. Gus just continued to soothe Matt as best as he could.

After about 10 minutes, Matt calmed down enough to form coherent sentences.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Gus asked.

"No," Matt replied quietly.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Can... can we just stay like this?"

"Sure, but can we sit on my bed? The floor is a bit uncomfortable."

"Oh, sure. Sorry."

"You don't need to say sorry."

The two boys sat on Gus' bed. Gus had his arms around Matt, and Matt did the same. Matt had stopped shaking, but tears still escaped from his eyes every now and then.

"Is there anything else I can do to help you?" Gus asked again.

"I don't know," Matt replied. He sounded ashamed.

"Do you want to talk? Or I can turn on a movie? Whatever you want," he offered.

"I... I don't know," Matt said quieter, a few more tears rolling down his cheek.

Gus sighed. He brought his hand up to the side of Matt's face and brushed the tears off of his cheek. Matt closed his eyes and leaned into Gus.

"How about I go turn on a movie? We'll have to keep the volume low since my dad is still asleep. Would that be okay?" Gus offered.

Matt took a second to think, but after consideration, he nodded his head. Gus stood up, slowly letting go of his friend, and made his way over to the tv. He put in Matt's favorite sitcom and grabbed the remote. When he sat down, he returned his attention to Matt.

The two boys sat together, leaning their backs against the wall, holding each other in a warm, soothing embrace. Matt still cried, but it wasn't as bad as before. Every now and then, Gus made sure to brush the tears off of Matt's cheek.

Towards the middle of the movie, Matt whispered, "Thank you."

Gus paused the movie and said, "No problem."

After a few minutes went by in the comfortable silence, Gus looked down and realized that Matt was sleeping.

Gus turned off the TV, setting the remote by the floor, and brought the covers around him and Matt. He did his best not to wake up his friend and was surprisingly successful.

Gus closed his eyes and felt himself melt into the warmth of his friend. Soon enough, he fell asleep.

~~Time skip~~

Gus' alarm went off, startling the two boys and waking them up. When Matt became aware of his surroundings, his face flushed pink, and he scrambled to stand up.

Gus stood up slower than Matt did. He didn't seem to be as embarrassed as Matt was.

They both got ready as they had done the previous day and started their walk to school.

"I'm so tired," Matt groaned, rubbing his eyes with his hands.

"Me too," Gus mumbled in agreement.

~~Another time skip~~

Matt:

Gus sat down at the lunch table with a smile. Today, Matt and him were sitting with Gus' friends. Matt sat down next to him. He was nervous.

Gus' friends greeted Matt with warm smiles, which Matt did his best to return.

"This is Willow," Gus pointed to a girl with green hair and glasses.

"This is Luz," he pointed to a girl with short, brown hair and brown eyes, "And this is Amity," he finished, pointing to the girl next to Luz. This girl had medium-length purple hair and yellow eyes.

They each waved at Matt with a smile, so Matt waved back, an awkward smile shown instead of a 'normal' one.

They started to pick up a casual conversation, "What does your schedule look like?" Luz asked energetically.

Matt explained his schedule. He was still crazy nervous, even though he was finding these people okay so far. Matt's leg was anxiously bouncing, so much that Gus reached over and gave his arm a light squeeze to let him know he's there. It managed to calm Matt down a little bit, but not very much.

When lunch ended, Matt waved goodbye and walked to his construction class.

When he sat down, he took deep breaths and closed his eyes. It seemed to get rid of the nerves that had built up during lunch.

The bell rang, and the teacher started class. "Everyone put your statues on your desks from last night's assignment," he said with a smile.

Matt took his out of his bag and waited for it to be graded. With the pace that his teacher was going today, he figured he'd have time to try and work on his illusions.

Matt closed his eyes and pictured Estelle in his mind. Once he felt that he had a clear enough image in his mind, he opened his eyes and made the spell circle with his finger. A small, blue blob in the general shape of a cat was floating in front of him.

Some random kid noticed Matt's failed illusion and pointed it out. Soon, Matt could hear small sniggers jeering at him from all over the room. Quickly, he swatted away at the blue blob and buried his head in his arms.

As much as Matt hated to admit it, it really hurt. He knew it was stupid for it to hurt. He wasn't friends with any of them, so why would it?

Maybe that's it.

Matt quickly raised his hand, "Can I go to the restroom?" The teacher nodded his head. Matt stood up, grabbing his things. The teacher didn't seem to notice or mind anyway.

Before walking out of the room, Matt heard a faint voice say, "That weirdo is probably going to go cry now. What a looser."

(End scene)
Heheehehehheheheehe

I won't apologize for this chapter😘

Have an amazing day/night everyone! Stay safe!