30. Naufragous

Matt:

Matt walked from class to class. His brain had turned to autopilot just like it had when he was at Glandis. When he walked into his illusion class, he stared at the empty desk in front of him.

He had gotten much better at illusions since their last homework assignment. Today's assignment was to make an animated illusion, one that moves. Matt immediately thought of Estelle. He managed to smile a little at the thought of his beloved cat.

The bell rang, and he headed off to lunch. Matt sat down at the usual table. They all talked about random stuff until the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch.

Matt waved goodbye to his friends as panic flowed through his veins. He hated his construction class. He loved the course, but he HATED the class. When he walked in, everyone in the class was glaring at him. But there were five or so people that glared extra hard at him.

Matt shuddered as he took his seat. He finished the paperwork fairly quickly and took out his notebook to doodle.

After about 30 minutes, the bell rang, ending this class and telling the students to head to their next class. Matt was relieved to be heading to history. It was his favorite class. He loved history. Even though it isn't likely to happen, Matt had been considering becoming a history teacher as a possible career.

The class still felt empty without Gus. But he tried to pay attention to the notes they had to take.

By the end of the class, Matt had taken a good amount of notes. The bell rang, freeing students from the school day and allowing them to go home. He waved goodvye to his friends on his way out of the building and made his way home.

When Matt reached the park, he saw two kids from his construction class sitting on the bench. He looked down and tried to just walk past, but one of the kids stood up, blocking his path.

"Can I help you," Matt asked, irritated.

"Who would've guessed. The freak can speak!" One of the kids shouted. There were a few more kids hanging around the playground, all of whom burst out laughing.

Matt gritted his teeth and fought back tears. "Can I just go home," he stated.

"No," the kid said right before he socked Matt in the face.

Matt dropped his school bag and reached his hands up to his face.

Two kids grabbed his arms and yanked him over to the play set, tossing him to the ground with a thud. They took turns kicking him in the stomach and punching him in the face.

Matt had blacked out shortly after they had begun. But when he came to, they were gone. He tried to sit up but was met with a burning pain all throughout his body. He yelped in pain, tears forming.

In the distance, he saw a blurry figure. He couldn't tell who it was, but they sat down next to him, stroking his hair and wiping away his tears. Matt felt safe. He felt tired.

His eyes felt so heavy, and he felt so incredibly tired. He just wanted to take a small nap.

Matt let his eyes fall shut.

Gus:

Matt was supposed to be home 15 minutes ago. Where was he?

Gus put his shoes on and walked as fast as he could. He had regained some of his voice, but he still sounded terrible. His heart pounded as he walked to the school.

Gus reached the park and saw Matt's school bag tossed on the ground. His heart dropped. He looked over to the play set and saw Matt laying on the mulch, bleeding, bruised, and beaten.

He rushed over to Matt, whispering that it'll be okay. He pulled out his scroll and called his dad. "You need to call an ambulance, Dad. Matt is really hurt." Gus said, fighting back tears.

"Where are you?" His dad asked, panicked.

"We're at the park nearest to the house. Please hurry," he cried.

"I'm calling an ambulance as soon as I hang up. I'll be there as quickly as I can." Perry said shortly before hanging up.

Gus set his scroll on the ground and cried. He played with Matt's hair to try and calm both himself and Matt down. "You better be okay, you hear me?" Gus whispered, tears falling from his eyes.

He heard footsteps behind him and turned around. His dad was sprinting towards the boys. "Gus!" He called, kneeling down to take a better look at Matt. "Do you know what happened?"

Gus just shook his head and sobbed. Perry tried to get Matt to wake up, but he couldn't. They heard ambulances drawing nearer.

"Matt... we're taking y-you to the hospital and they're gon-gonna make you better. You're g-going to be o-okay, you hear me?" Gus choked out.

Matt just lay there, unresponsive.

The medics rushed out of the car, bringing a stretcher with them. They got Matt onto the stretcher and brought him inside the ambulance. Gus and his dad were told that they couldn't be with Matt in the ambulance and that they'd have to get there on their own.

Gus watched as his world was driven away from him in the back of a red and white car.

He turned to hug his dad and sobbed.

(End scene)
Mwahahahahahahahahahaaa